Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dhawk

Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Post by Dhawk »

I think they are.

It seems more about writing tickets and collecting fines....than protecting any fish or wildlife.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Post by Juan »

I'm guessing you got a ticket?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

He's so incensed, he posted twice.

What examples can you give to support your claim? What areas of management need improvement? Have you made comments on particular rules/fisheries or attended any FWC workshops or commission meetings?.

There are many of us who feel enforcement is lagging, particularly when it comes to illegal fishing. A recent workshop on trout management options was sparsely attended, according to forum members who were there (I couldn't make it but submitted comments on-line). It's kind of like voting. If you don't participate in the process, there's little justification for complaining.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessary government regulation. But in the case of fish and wildlife management, I'll always err on the side of more than not enough to protect the resources.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

The God complex of game wardens has ticked me off before, but that's more of a personal problem between those lone human beings and whoever gave them their small worm that isn't used for fishing if you get my drift.

Those few rotten apples aside, I think enforcement is lagging. I know about people castnetting Specks out of the Aucilla River when it gets low, catching dozens of 10 pound plus bass on Shiners, fish traps when creeks get full, gigging on the Wacissa, all done with a line of beer can and cig butts to and from the spot.

And don't even get me started on some of the mullet fishermen out there.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I caught a good-sized trout in the Aucilla 2 trips ago that had obvious net marks on his tail section where he had gotten out of somebody's net. And no game warden checked us the last 3 trips there. You could get by with just about anything, if you wanted to.
Yours in the South
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Never have seen an enforcement officer while fishing in the year and half I've been here. Tend to stay away on the weekends, so that might skew the possibilities of any interaction. My perception is that there's a lot of water to cover out there.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

silverking wrote:He's so incensed, he posted twice.

What examples can you give to support your claim? What areas of management need improvement? Have you made comments on particular rules/fisheries or attended any FWC workshops or commission meetings?.

There are many of us who feel enforcement is lagging, particularly when it comes to illegal fishing. A recent workshop on trout management options was sparsely attended, according to forum members who were there (I couldn't make it but submitted comments on-line). It's kind of like voting. If you don't participate in the process, there's little justification for complaining.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessary government regulation. But in the case of fish and wildlife management, I'll always err on the side of more than not enough to protect the resources.
Thanks for mentioning the FWC commission meetings. I wasn't aware such things existed. I doubt I'm eligible to throw my opinion in the hat, because I live in Georgia, but it'll still be good to be informed on what's happening. I would like to see the trout limit lowered to 2 or 3 per person, per day. There's a reason we're catching 5 14.5" trout to every 1 keeper... Maybe it's just me :smt102
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You can subscribe to the FWC distribution list for various management sections like saltwater fishing, freshwater fishing, hunting, etc. They send out newsletters and alerts on issues coming before the commission. They are also soliciting input before making management changes, like they did on seatrout. You don't have to be a resident of Florida to subscribe or give your two cents. The commission meetings are held every other month at locations around the state, often in the area that will be impacted on regional rules.

www.myfwc.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I put in my 2 cents worth I'm the fwc site also about possibly closing trout season again in february.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

silverking wrote:You can subscribe to the FWC distribution list for various management sections like saltwater fishing, freshwater fishing, hunting, etc. They send out newsletters and alerts on issues coming before the commission. They are also soliciting input before making management changes, like they did on seatrout. You don't have to be a resident of Florida to subscribe or give your two cents. The commission meetings are held every other month at locations around the state, often in the area that will be impacted on regional rules.

http://www.myfwc.com
Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

No & no. But I'm not one that feels like I need to fill my cooler every trip or my freezer every season.
I do think that enforcement is lagging as well.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The constantly shifting regulations are a source of confusion.
Triedandfailed

Post by Triedandfailed »

I've been fishing out of St. Marks for seven years now, and I've been inspected by FWC only twice. Neither time was the inspection particularly thorough. I expect the officers only had so much time to spend on the water and didn't see a reason to spend any more than they had to checking my boat, but I have been unnerved by how easy it would be to break the law and get away with it.

I am strongly in favor of more enforcement. I feel like I only see an FWC boat in the water on a quarter of my trips. I think that most of us on this forum observe the limits and regulations because we know why they're so important. I have no doubt, however, that there are many anglers out there who don't. More enforcement is going to cost money. If that means spending more in taxes or for my licence, that's alright with me, but a lot of people out there don't seem to understand that sometimes you have to pay for something you want.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Not counting the flotilla during scallop season at Keaton/Steinhatchee, I’ve seen the FWC on the water once this year, that was in front of the lighthouse at St Marks last March. So no I don’t think they are out of control.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

By myself today and an officer idled over for a check. My 100-pound Rottweiler did not welcome him with open paws. The officer stayed a short distance away and asked about my catch. Showed him a slot trout in my box and also my safety gear. He was very polite and smart, too. I wouldn't have wanted to board my skiff either, not with that thunder and teeth. :wink: Saw him again at the ramp and we talked fishing some more.

The men and women on patrol have a lot of demands and do a good job for not enough money. I wish there was a more visible presence. Also know not all are in uniform and hopefully the undercover officers are around when the law-breakers least expect it.