Scalloping Keaton beach 6/23/18

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping Keaton beach 6/23/18

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Daniel and his son got the chance to go scalloping with me today. It’s been two years since he’s been with me and wanted to give his boy a first experience doing it. Image. Image. Got two the ramp at 7:00 and headed out. Decided to do a little fishing for a while before swimming. Wasn’t to long before little man catches his first keeper trout. Image. Then he got a shark. Image. After that it was swimming time. Let’s just say that the onshore winds made scalloping tough. Could not see anything from the boat. So it was trolling for shark time to try to find them. Image. They were hard to find today. It was weird the scallops seamed to suddenly appear after 2:00. We wound up with a two man limit, 2 trout and 2 seabass. And Daniel’s boy picked up his first scallops. Image. And then it was off to the ramp follies. Image. But still was a great day on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsaunders

Re: Scalloping Keaton beach 6/23/18

Post by jsaunders »

Looks like ya'll had a good time! Hard to beat a day on the water!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

jsaunders wrote:Looks like ya'll had a good time! Hard to beat a day on the water!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
. Yep it had been a while since we’ve been. I love being out there.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Glad y’all were able to find em. Looks like a good time
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Salty Gator wrote:Glad y’all were able to find em. Looks like a good time
. We had a blast

relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

We went out Sat. for the first time this year and the first 1 1/2 was tough. We are early to the area so didn't have many other boats to show where it's decent. Moved three times for that first amount, couldn't see into the water because of the wind. Many areas that were good last year were poor. Finally got a spot that had a fair amount to finish off the 4 gal quota. Took 3 hours. There were many small ( too small) ones to filter through and a few old knurly last year ones. All I can say is the state better put aside more money for spat then they have been. I don't think they are managing this resource well enough.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

We scalloped out to steinhatchee south on the 24th and they were small and scattered and in shallow water, the 25th we went north to the dallus creek area and they were much larger and more concentrated in 3-4ft of water.
Last edited by doomtrpr_z71 on June 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Sounds like you found enough to keep everyone entertained. It would be nice if they could do something to add some order to the caos (sp?) at the ramp, but I don't know what that would be.
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

The ramp wasn't to bad for this time of year. When we got there we were 6th in line, had 3 coming out also so it was a bit of a wait. Then just as i was up two trailers were in line ahead of me and two boats from about 8 boats behind me motored up and loaded. Obviously they dropped someone off around the corner down that other channel. Other then the two line cutters it went well.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ddb wrote:Sounds like you found enough to keep everyone entertained. It would be nice if they could do something to add some order to the caos (sp?) at the ramp, but I don't know what that would be.
. Steinhatchee ramp has an attendant that keeps things moving. Keaton needs that.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

relicshunter wrote:The ramp wasn't to bad for this time of year. When we got there we were 6th in line, had 3 coming out also so it was a bit of a wait. Then just as i was up two trailers were in line ahead of me and two boats from about 8 boats behind me motored up and loaded. Obviously they dropped someone off around the corner down that other channel. Other then the two line cutters it went well.
. First trailer to ramp gets to load first. That’s the way it’s supposed to work.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
relicshunter wrote:The ramp wasn't to bad for this time of year. When we got there we were 6th in line, had 3 coming out also so it was a bit of a wait. Then just as i was up two trailers were in line ahead of me and two boats from about 8 boats behind me motored up and loaded. Obviously they dropped someone off around the corner down that other channel. Other then the two line cutters it went well.
. First trailer to ramp gets to load first. That’s the way it’s supposed to work.

Yep, not the order you get back to the ramp, but who gets their trailer in line first
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Salty Gator wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:

Yep, not the order you get back to the ramp, but who gets their trailer in line first
. If more people would realize this ramps would move so much smoother. That’s why I get there early to get a parking space in the lot. Not a 1/4 mile down the road.

relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Yes It moves much faster for the people that cut in line!
Wow that's disappointing. So the people that come to the ramp tenth in line but drop someone around the corner is in the right? Am I understanding you both correctly? Another example would be, you drive in the 75 ramp lane until you can beat most of the straight lane traffic and then cut back in near the light right?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

relicshunter wrote:Yes It moves much faster for the people that cut in line!
Wow that's disappointing. So the people that come to the ramp tenth in line but drop someone around the corner is in the right? Am I understanding you both correctly? Another example would be, you drive in the 75 ramp lane until you can beat most of the straight lane traffic and then cut back in near the light right?
It’s not the same thing. Your comparing apples to oranges. There is a line to use the ramp. That is for boats putting in and pulling out. There really can be only one line per lane. When you get back to the ramp let someone out to go get the car and get in line. Try to park so you can do it quickly. That’s how boat ramps work. How else would you do it? It really helps when there is an attendant, you ask him where the line starts and he will point you there. Cutting the line is different, which does happen. But that is in the established line, not a hypothetical line by who got back to the ramp first . How are people supposed to know if they were pulling out, getting something out of a car or in the store or picking someone up? And what if 2 boats can me in at the same time, one trailer is 20 feet away and another is a 1/4 mile away, are you supposed to clog up the basin waiting for them to get back to their truck? Hope this helps
Last edited by Salty Gator on June 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.