New cobia regs

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

New cobia regs

Post by Salty Gator »

Just a heads up, the minimum was increased from 33” to 36”( fork length) on March 25, 2020. Go get em, don’t get popped w a short :lol:

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/cobia/
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
geofish

Re: New cobia regs

Post by geofish »

Thanx, I hadn't heard that. Heading out to self-isolate offshore tomorrow
geofish

Post by geofish »

Quick question. The website I found that mentions the March 2020 increase to 36" for cobia lists it as a change for federal waters, and shows state waters still at 33". Can anyone clarify what's the limit if I stay in state waters?
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

geofish wrote:Quick question. The website I found that mentions the March 2020 increase to 36" for cobia lists it as a change for federal waters, and shows state waters still at 33". Can anyone clarify what's the limit if I stay in state waters?
It's still 33" in Florida's Big Bend. If you don't have the app, Fish Rules, get it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

State waters still 33” to the fork, but 2 max per vessel is new I believe. I used to use fish rules, but there was a problem with them updating regs. I doubt a fwc officer would take what fish rules says over the fwc website, but I could be wrong.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Just spoke to an FWC officer on this matter and he confirmed that state water regulations remained at 33" for cobia.

( not legal advice! )

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Srbenda wrote:Just spoke to an FWC officer on this matter and he confirmed that state water regulations remained at 33" for cobia.

( not legal advice! )

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks for helping clear this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Have tagged and released WAY more than I've kept AND have released quite a few tagged keepers so asking this just for clarity sake regarding what seems like rather convoluted rulings...

If I'm reading the latest regs right FL's state water limit is still 33" AND ONE fish per person (max 2 per vessel). But the federal limit is now 36" (in the gulf) with only a specified limit of 2 per person (don't see a vessel limit for federal waters).

So... let's say that I go out with a party of 3 guys (self included) and we stop in state waters first and put TWO 35" keepers on ice. We then run out to Federal waters and land 4 more cobia that are 36"+. As long as we don't stop running when headed in, and assuming the fish caught were legitimately split with each of has having caught two of the keepers we'd be legal to have all 6 cobia on the boat if stopped right?

And will plead / warn in advance, out of concern for the fishery I personally WOULD NOT do it anyway... back when limits were even more open I only generally kept one if the freezer was empty and limited what we'd keep on the boat to 3 fish for the entire vessel regardless the number of folks fishing.

Just asking to ensure I understand what the legal limits truly are.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

big bend gyrene wrote:Have tagged and released WAY more than I've kept AND have released quite a few tagged keepers so asking this just for clarity sake regarding what seems like rather convoluted rulings...

If I'm reading the latest regs right FL's state water limit is still 33" AND ONE fish per person (max 2 per vessel). But the federal limit is now 36" (in the gulf) with only a specified limit of 2 per person (don't see a vessel limit for federal waters).

So... let's say that I go out with a party of 3 guys (self included) and we stop in state waters first and put TWO 35" keepers on ice. We then run out to Federal waters and land 4 more cobia that are 36"+. As long as we don't stop running when headed in, and assuming the fish caught were legitimately split with each of has having caught two of the keepers we'd be legal to have all 6 cobia on the boat if stopped right?

And will plead / warn in advance, out of concern for the fishery I personally WOULD NOT do it anyway... back when limits were even more open I only generally kept one if the freezer was empty and limited what we'd keep on the boat to 3 fish for the entire vessel regardless the number of folks fishing.

Just asking to ensure I understand what the legal limits truly are.
The way I understand it, if you enter fed waters w 2 35” fish, you are in violation. Similar to state and fed gags. If you catch one in fed waters and it’s closed on state, you have to run in without stopping. If you stop to fish or swim, your in violation.
Last edited by Salty Gator on April 6th, 2020, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Salty Gator wrote: The way I understand it, if you enter fed waters w 2 35” fish, you are in violation. Similar to state and fed gags. I’d you catch one in fed waters and it’s closed on state, you have to run in without stopping. If you stop to fish or swim, your in violation.
This is correct.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Anyone else spotted any cobia of late?

I spotted one (not a keeper) swimming with a big ray in three foot while fishing a grass flat. I had to be around thirty yards from the hill.

I pitched the swim bait I had but it spooked the ray... they gone.

Was a welcomed surprise.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote:Anyone else spotted any cobia of late?

I spotted one (not a keeper) swimming with a big ray in three foot while fishing a grass flat. I had to be around thirty yards from the hill.

Was a welcomed surprise.

I saw one in 4” on Friday. He was probably right at keeper size
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Anyone else spotted any cobia of late?

Was a welcomed surprise.

I saw one in 4” on Friday. He was probably right at keeper size
Nice. Looking to get tight on one soon.