First day of season

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

First day of season

Post by akasephiroth »

Headed out early, got to location around 7 dropped some cut bait and squid sat for about 30 mins and no luck. Moved to next location, again nothing. Tied on a bucktail jig threw to the back of the boat and bam gone in 60 second eat your heart out. Big boy there was the first to hook up on Penn 2500 slammer and ultra light Penn battalion set up this was a fun fight.
Wife changed over when I landed him and hooked up on the first of small snapper, then I pulled in a lane snapper to my surprise. Then wife and my self hook up on 2 monsters that can't be stopped, were both half spoiled I forced a break off on mine to run hers down with the boat, fought this monster for over a hr untill he got into the bottom and wouldn't move after turning it had several massive head shakes believe shark was our culiprt here. We decided to sit where we were at at this point and toss a few more bucktail cought several small snapper 15-16inch the 1 more 19 incher before heading in for lunch. Nearly limited out and a lane, I'm not gonna complain.

Last edited by akasephiroth on June 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geofish

Re: First day of season

Post by geofish »

Cool, how deep were you?
I'm headed out tomorrow, weather permitting.
Also, can somone please clarfy the rules for me? If I throw a bucktail jig with a gulp minnow or fishbites strip, I'm ok, but if i tip it with a strip of squid or cut bait it has to be a circle hook? Is that correct?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That is the way I understand the law as well
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Was only in 70' the thing that was interesting was when we moved off number to chase fish we had no structure on bottom machine but this spot produced more fish overall now mind you they were all undersize except the 1 but found it strange to catch more without structure.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Thanx
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

akasephiroth wrote:Was only in 70' the thing that was interesting was when we moved off number to chase fish we had no structure on bottom machine but this spot produced more fish overall now mind you they were all undersize except the 1 but found it strange to catch more without structure.

A much better fisherman than me once told me that a small ledge or small area of live bottom will concentrate the fish better than a huge ledge or wreck. You may have found an excellent honey hole. Congratulations on the groceries, thanks for the report.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

We had a great day Saturday off Dog Island. 28 inch Grouper and 5 snapper up to 24 inches and a flounder for the three of us. Live pin fish was the key but we had a tough time getting them on the sabiki. Got about seven pins and got three of the snapper on them. The rest we caught on LY’s. Squid brought up the flounder, which was a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's a long paddle and you must have a huge fish bag. :wink:

Pretty haul on the opener, OP.

Nice job all. Thanks for the reports.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat