St. Marks??

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

St. Marks??

Post by Saltydawg »

Son and I hoping to maybe try the river at St. Mark’s tomorrow if the rain passes as supposed to. Has anybody been giving it a shot? Have any fish made it into the river? Just not that familiar with St Marks as living in Georgia just not down there often. We did go last year later in season and tore them up, musta caught 50-75 trout most small but several nice ones.
Saltydawg

Re: St. Marks??

Post by Saltydawg »

200 views and no replies, know it’s not necessarily peak season but surely someone has wet a hook. I ended up not being able to make it but my son and a friend went. Wind was apparently gusting 20+ easy so trolling and anchoring tuff. They showed fish stacked up in deep holes but those wouldn’t bite so they ended up close to the mouth and tried anchoring off some bars. Were a few fish there but really tuff to hold the anchor with the wind and too deep to power pole but they caught 10 or so trout with 3-4 legal size but they released all of them. We are supposed to go back this Friday so hopefully I’ll have some firsthand remarks and a few fillets as my freezer is empty.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I haven't been fishing since the Saturday after Thanksgiving so I don't know what the recent rains have done to the water. This Saturday looks like it will be a good day to try. High tide is at 12:21 and wind should be below 10mph
Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

Well, my son, grandson ,and I did make it to St. Marks yesterday. Got boat in water about 9:30 and tried slow trolling some swim baits as we headed towards mouth of river, no luck. Not many boats in river maybe 10 or so. We next tried the insides of several bars at river mouth same results so headed back working upstream. We marked fish of some sorts in most deeper holes but nothing biting. Boats were constantly on the move so guessing they were having same results. We throw artificials but did speak with a fisherman using live shrimp and he too was skunked. We only had half a day and finally saw one boat land couple of smaller “somethings “ just drifting with the tide slow bouncing jigs so jumped on that tactic for our last hour and landed 3 nice sand trout which we released. Pretty day and great to be out but guessing with all the rain and cold the fish that were there just not active.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Saltydog, I was there yesterday and had similar results. Fished from the fort all the way to marker 39 and never got a bite. I threw jigs, Gulp shrimp tipped with shrimp, a mirrolure, and a gold DoA shrimp and nothing. I would have been glad to catch 3 sand trout, I was skunked and left about 12:30.
Last year we had some good times on the river, but I think the rain and no consistent cold weather has messed it up. Did see an eagle fly over the river, that was cool.
Yours in the South
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Went out with two friends yesterday. We launched from the lighthouse ramp at around 9am. We headed west and caught a few trout in a creek near John's Island. We went to an area near Big Pass and picked up a few more trout, one rat red, and a short flounder. All in all we caught 12-15 keeper size trout. Water temp was 58-62, winds were comfortable. Most of the trout seemed to prefer chartreuse with gold flake lures.
It was great day. It was the first time the three of us had been out together in about two months and it was a good time.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I went out on Saturday around Big Pass and then to Goose Creek. All we caught was one short red. Water temp was between 55 and 57.