Lower Unit

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

Lower Unit

Post by BIG »

As I mentioned in my inshore fishing report. I was victimized by the rock garden. :oops: There was a rising tide and it appeared I hit some rocks that were slightly submerged. :thumbdown: The result was a mangled prop and the lower unit portion that hangs below the prop being pretty much eaten away.

I looked on the web and it appears I would have to replace the lower gearcase just to have this rudder looking item replaced. If I replace the prop and operate without the portion that appears to protect the prop would that be OK?

I really don't want to put another $1,000+ in the boat for something that appears to work well without it.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

You need to have the skeg welded back on...That requires the removal of the lower unit, it disassembled, cleaned and welded...Ask me how I know this :-D .....IF only a part of it is missing you can buy a Skegard, but it is around $100 and I think it cost me around $200 to do it right...You can run with out it, but stand the chance causing further damage to the lower unit and prop......Another battle scar.... :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Take it to Wavel Porter at Porter Marine before you do anything drastic. He does "miracles" with skeggs, and it shouldn't cost that much. He's located down in Woodville and does good work. He designed a stainless lower unit guard that is incredible. :thumbup: :thumbup: He'll fix your skegg and make it look brand new. It be well worth your time and $$ to visit his shop. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Proter Marine 421-1490 **corrected phone number 11/3/2004**

Hope this helps.
MJ
Last edited by mjsigns on November 3rd, 2004, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

What MJ said :thumbup: . And definately get him to install you a rock guard. It has saved my skeg many times.
Fish Masterson
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

With that hard of a hit, make sure you don't have a bent prop shaft. If you do, you may be looking at replacing the lower unit anyway. You can just replace a prop shaft but by the time you do that and repair the skeg... you may be better off replacing the entire unit. If you have insurance.... that will help.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Lower Unit

Post by Fisherman989 »

I have had to replace my lower unit 2 different times due to the rocks in Aucilla River vicinity. The skag was broken off both times...smooth with the lower gear case. I tried welding....went to one of the premier aluminium welders in Moultrie....first rock I touched with the "welded" skag...it came off.
Insurance sure does help in these instances....but with two filled within a few months....deductible went up to $500 curtisy of the insurance company.
I've had a skag guard on my motors ever since. They work. I've seen the rocks over in the rock garden...on low tide. It's unimaginable how many "mines" are out there....just under the surface.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Replaced my lower unit last year on a 90hp Johnson. Scagg was fine, but bent a prop shaft, which allowed water to get in the lower unit. I had a mess. Used unit was $500. in Albany.

What size is your motor? I have a 48hp Johnson also with a broken scagg. Planning to put a Rock Guard on that one also.
Semper Fi
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

CS

Post by Fisherman989 »

I had a 75h Johnson when I ran into those rocks...both times....and broke off the skag.
I have 45h Honda now.....with S/S skeg guard. Have had the skeg guard ever since I destroyed those two. It works great too. Now if you were going wide open and hit a rock...I imagine it would tear up the lower unit.
But going "cautiously".....it's saved me many a time.
The rock garden is a place for being ever so cautious. Me nephew destroyed his 19ft Trition ...and 150h Evenrude over there a couple of years ago. It broke the transom in the boat....and messed up the engine big time. He had no business over there. His rig was a total loss.
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

CS, it is a 70 hp. Fisher that is a true horror story!