CSB fishing week of 4th

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hand's Tied
Site Sponsor

CSB fishing week of 4th

Post by Hand's Tied »

Went down to Cape San Blas for a week of sun, fishing, and relaxing with my wife and several other couples.
Sunday we fished out on some hard bottom and caught a few snappers, grouper, samll AJs, lots of small sharks, and triggers. On the way back in, we met a HUGE school of spanish mackerel just outside the inlet. We trolled spoons and cast into the schools and caught 40-50 before calling it a day - not a bad start to the vacation. We kept a few fish for the grill that night.
Monday we went looking for scallops in the bay. We found about 3 gallons (in shell) in a couple hours. A relaxing way to spend an afternoon.
Tuesday, a friend and I decided to stay in close to the buoy line at St. Joe and try for kings. We rounded the tip of the peninsula and noticed a huge school of bait. We stopped and with 2 casts of the net had a couple hundred LYs and other bait. We put about 25 in the live well and headed out. We set up between the last 2 buoys and drifted live bait. Barely got the rod in the holder before line starts peeling off. We fished for the next 2 hours and cuaght 9 kings all around 10-12 lbs - no big ones, but a lot of fun on light tackle. Had as many cutoffs/breakoffs.
Wednesday we went back to the bay for scallops and found about 5 gallons in a little over an hour. They were delicious that night.

Thursday turned out to be the last day fishing. Went out looking for a few kings on the 4th. We caught bait (live LYs) - a hundred of so with one cast of the net. We went to the buoy line and drifted but only had a few short hits, so we decied to head to the car bodies are and drift for kings. Weather turned bad as we got there i about 60 ft of water. We set out 2 live LYs and waited. After a little while, one rod bounced and I figured we were about to get a king. A second or so after that, the water erupted as a 5 1/2 ft sailfish came out of the water. I grabbed the rod and my brother started the boat. After a 15 minute aerial display we brought the sail to the boat, took a couple quick pictures, revide him and set hime free. I had never even seen one alive before. What a beautiful fish. Check him out:

Can't wait til next time.

Randy
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Sweet Sail! Sounds like a great trip. You are braver than me looking at those skies behind you. :o
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Nice fish and good to know he went back safely.

Sounds like you had a super week at the Cape, I must agree its a lovely place. :D
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Realy a nice fish I bet it was fun to catch........I sure hope you can find them again and do the catch and release again...maybe big brother is out their as well....THANKS for sharing the pictures with the forum