2 anglers killed in boating accident

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

May 06. 2005 6:01AM - Horseshoe Beach...

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Don't know why folks want to keep taking these small(under 25') boats offshore. They have no transom to keep out water. The waves were 1/2 to 2/3 the boat length. I feel a 1/2 mile per foot of boat length should be observed by these Captains,(e.g. 10 miles for a 20' boat. Most of these boats could seek safe water in 20 minutes from that distance.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Rough water boating

Post by KarstRanger »

So, what do you do when you are running for home port when waves start coming in over the stern? Can you not zig zag at a 45 degree angle to the direction of the swell similar to how you tack into into the wind with a sailboat?

I don't plan to get into this situation, but nor do I plan to start sliding on a wet or icy road, but the practice I had on clay roads purposely spinning out as a teenager sure helped me learn how to control it.

Thanks,
KarstRanger
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Well... hmmm 1/2 mile per foot of boat?

I guess I have been taking chances with my 17' going out 20 miles?

I just hope I don't get into that situation when the weather quickly turns ugly. I monitor the forecast very closely and look for a pattern of good weather and calm winds and slip out only under the best possible conditions and try not to let my fishing feaver addiction over-ride common sense.

MJ
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Can not see 25 as a magic # for safer or further distance.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I slow down and raise the T&T as much as possible "lifts the bow" and if going with the waves, I will try and ride the back side of the wave "only had to do it twice so far" :smt011 if going into the waves, I generally do the same thing but would use the quartering method if I got into some really bad stuff "coming at me and not going with me" :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

wevans said
...use the quartering method...

Could you explain this method ? :smt017
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It's just a fancy way of saying, take the waves at an angle instead of head on :-D the danger of taking an angle though is that if you misjudge it, the wave could easily swamp your boat :o so keep the angle to a minimum :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I didn't see anything in the article that specifically indicated taking water over the stern. If that were the case, how the boat was being handled has a lot more to do with it than the size of the boat.

Other possibilities for taking on water that I didn't see mentioned, or ruled out, are: structural failure or a through-hull pick-up coming apart. Either can happen on any size boat.

Another thing that crosses my mind is the article also didn't mention the capacity of the bilge pump. It's possible, with enough rain and spray, to have water coming in faster than the bilge pump can keep up. This can actually be worse with a bigger boat, depending on the capacity of the pump.

I agree with Wevans on getting on the back of a wave in a following sea, just don't go over the crest or you could stuff the bow in the trough. If that wave mushes out from under you just jump on the back of the next one in front. Quartering into a heavy sea also works well. It increases the apparent length of the boat in relation to the waves.

If it gets really bad the sea state should determine your direction, rather than your desired destination. Another option is to deploy a sea-anchor off the bow, hold on, and ride it out, but this can be the hardest to do since it feels like you're not really doing anything but bailing.
Last edited by Charles on May 15th, 2005, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

I think two 1250 gph's bilge pumps are worth it for anyone going out past view of land. And a back up starter battery too.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Sea Anchor

Post by KarstRanger »

Do I really have to pay $150 for an emergency sea anchor? Are there less expensive alternatives?
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Every day the limitations vary, every person's skill varies, every boat's limitations vary, you just need to know yours..
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Frank Bradfield wrote:Every day the limitations vary, every person's skill varies, every boat's limitations vary, you just need to know yours..
Well said, Frank.
What was I supposed to do today?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Re: Sea Anchor

Post by Charles »

KarstRanger wrote:Do I really have to pay $150 for an emergency sea anchor? Are there less expensive alternatives?
$150 is a pretty good price for a sea anchor, but as far as I know there's not a regulation to carry one. Although, there could be a regulation that applies to boats over a certain length. If you do decide to get one, make sure it's a good one that's not going to blow out or come apart when you need it the most. It's one of those things where you may never get one and never need it or get one and never need it, but if you ever get in a jam without one and really do need it. . . . . . .

The Para-Tech site has more good information on sea anchors, drogues, boat brakes, etc.
http://www.seaanchor.com/seaanchor.htm
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

I have had to use a sea anchor before and swear by them, but I just never had to buy one until now.