Someone build a better mouse trap...

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

dang, for a week I've been avoiding this post cause I thought it was about building a mouse trap. :x :)

But yea it takes a while getting used to throwing one with a spinning rod and I'm still working on it with a bait caster. Some super duper cajun thunder would be awesome. Adding a split shot or two below seems to help for me when its windy.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sir reel wrote:In some places he's known as Turbo Cast. :o ....not Tin Can! :smt005

I've actually observed when he's in the front..... that the bow of the boat will lift just a bit when he gets the max RPM's before the release. :smt120
Y'all are just jealous. Wevans MIGHT be the only person on this forum that has invested as much time as I have perfecting my casting technique. :smt045
What was I supposed to do today?
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I can cast the thing fine, I want to be able to adjust the leader easily. Kinda like the old red and white floats I used to use for bream fishin'. There has got to be a simple way to accomplish a quick depth setting on these thangs.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Since ther doesn't seem to be a "lesser evil", just retie it!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I'm sure, after all of this discussion, there will be some experimenting. My first thought was a stop of some sort on the line, and let the cork move freely. But then i thought about line abrasion. I think I agree with Rodbow. It only takes a minute to retie.
What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

If you really want to be able to adjust it. Why not just tie some quick connectors on it, one on the end, another a foot below it... :-D the only thing to figure out then is what to do with the extra line that will be hanging :smt004
I will just keep my 3 or 4 rods and grab whichever, or retie :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

AJ wrote:I can cast the thing fine, I want to be able to adjust the leader easily. Kinda like the old red and white floats I used to use for bream fishin'. There has got to be a simple way to accomplish a quick depth setting on these thangs.
How 'bout a suitably sized, wide, rubber band (like might be cut from a bicycle innertube) around the float? Run your line through the eye on top, under the rubber band, and through the eye on the bottom. It wouldn't be adjustable while casting, but would be adjustable for depth. I'm thinking that the friction of the line between the rubber band and float would keep it from sliding. A CT doesn't get the load on it that a popping cork does.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I can tell I will have to retie or redesign a new style of popping cork. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to include ya'll in on the royalties. :smt006 :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: All this thinking is gonna take a few more of these :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?