It's all in a days work – Steinhatchee Report 10-14-02

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GrouperMaster

It's all in a days work – Steinhatchee Report 10-14-02

Post by GrouperMaster »

Steinhatchee Fishing Report 10/14/02
So you want to have a good time fishing? Here is what to do right now – Go to channel marker #1 at Steinhatchee, turn left between 220 to 240 degrees, run for 2 to 7 miles while watching for birds or fish flying out of the water, stop when you are just up wind/current of the commotion, pull out light spinning outfits, check your reel drag, fling a white buck tail jig into the froth, jerk the jig quickly and hold on. A turbo charged bonita is going to test your tackle in a matter of seconds. Reels sound like alarm clocks as line peels off at an alarming rate. Bonita are great game fish, but not table fare, so plan on a releasing the fish (good way to teach kids conservation). An option, fly fishing when the winds are light in the late afternoon, try a white or silver 3" streamer and have plenty of backing on your fly line.
Shark fishermen have an excellent opportunity to tangle with a monster. Over the past two weeks I've seen tiger and bull sharks in excess of 8' in the same waters the bonita are running. Let's see...thousands and thousands of six pound bloody fish and the presence of large sharks; I think there is a correlation there somewhere. Free-lining a big chunk of fresh bonita around the schools of fish is bound to end up in a street fight with a huge shark. It is fun to play a big shark but be extremely careful because the shark ain't playing. Oh, a wire leader might be a good idea.
Inshore fishing is excellent. Guides are limiting on trout and redfish and weekenders are showing some fine catches. I had to throw trout back that were over 20" because we already had our one oversized fish each on board. Two of the fifty pinfish we were collecting Monday morning for offshore bait were inhaled by nice trout before we could get them aboard; what would be good trout bait now? Redfish are taking cut pinfish and gold spoons along the shoreline during the incoming tide. The fight of a redfish is fantastic. If you have never had the opportunity to wrestle a red, hook-up with friendly fishermen or call a guide and experience a thrill.
Grouper fishing is great and getting better. I'm bringing an extra 5 pounds of frozen sardines on each trip. My live bait supply (50-75 pinnies) usually run out by 1:00 pm. There is a tremendous number of the undersized grouper inside of 60'. By my rough calculation, I'm having to catch 10 grouper to keep one. Thank goodness the bite is quick. Trolling for grouper hasn't been that successful this week, the water is still warm and the grass is making it tiresome. This time last year, the trolling action was great. Anyway, I'm still going to drop the trolling rods back when moving from one spot to the next because you never know what's going to happen in saltwater.
Take good care and try the bonita experience with a kid.
Capt B
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Capt B.......guess you need me on the boat when trolling I know how to catch them :wink: .......LOL sounds like the bite is picking up for you inshore and off.....I would love to get up their and do some offshore now that the weather is cooling off I can fish longer into the day........ :D thanks for the great report and keep them coming looking forward to seeing you again soon...............
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
GrouperMaster

Post by GrouperMaster »

Come on up and slip in on a Wed. Special. It is great that it is cooling off and the days are getting shorter. The wife thinks 5 to 7 days straight on the water, 14 hours, 100 degrees is the same as sitting in the office. :lol:

Looking forward to the fall and winter bite. Too many shorts!

Tight Lines & Blue Skies!
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Capt B whats the WED. Special may want to do that have an uncle that may want to come along....... :D
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
GrouperMaster

Post by GrouperMaster »

I take individual reservations, some people can't get a whole group, so individuals book for $125 a person. I have gone out with one or 5. It is usually a fun day, because the average is 2 people, it's fun and we do some scouting, etc. Call the wife if you decide to go, she can work things out for you.