St . Joe Bay fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Edwardo

St . Joe Bay fishing

Post by Edwardo »

My wife and I plan to spend a week at Presnell's RV Park in mid to late October. How is the fishing then? What species are biting and any tips on likely hot spots would be appreciative. We fished there in June about 2 years ago and did ok. Thanks!
homboyfsu

Re: St . Joe Bay fishing

Post by homboyfsu »

Look for open sandy bottoms in the grassy area near the east side of Black Island. You can use Glup but, live bait is better. Also, fish on the Westside of the Island lots of good fishing in the outside of the Channels. Went tide is going low fish along the grass line before open it gets to open water. Happy Fishing!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Excellent advice from homeboy. Fishing is usually great in October. The usual suspects, reds, trout and flounder. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Edwardo

Post by Edwardo »

Thanks guys!
Edwardo

Post by Edwardo »

I'm also bringing an 8 wt fly rod. Can anyone recommend some flies and fly sizes?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote:Excellent advice from homeboy. Fishing is usually great in October. The usual suspects, reds, trout and flounder. Good luck
I'll second homeboyfsu's advice and another great spot is the channel into Lighthouse Bayou. (South of Black's island) Word has it Presnell's is charging $25 to use their ramp these days.. (not worth it imo). Hopefully campers can launch at no charge.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Edwardo wrote:I'm also bringing an 8 wt fly rod. Can anyone recommend some flies and fly sizes?
I would bring clousers, chartreuse over pink, chartreuse over white, black over orange, are my fav for the Big Bend. Also gurglers, crab and shrimp patterns also. I like crafty shrimp type and Borski slider. Some swear by EP fiber bait fish patterns. Kwan type also. Reverse tied and hollow tied patterns work also. Deceivers should also have a place in the box.