new grouper regs.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jighead

new grouper regs.

Post by Jighead »

Could someone please bring me up to date on what is the new grouper regulations . What are some of the new changes if any? thanks, jighead .
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: new grouper regs.

Post by Tom Keels »

Regs are the same as last year with 3 exceptions.

http://myfwc.com/whatsnew/08/statewide/ ... shGear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must carry and use circle hooks when using live or dead bait.
You must carry and use a dehooking tool (not pliers)
You must carry and use a venting tool.

http://dehooker4arc.com/store/merchant. ... y_Code=GCK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Tom Keels wrote:Regs are the same as last year with 3 exceptions.

http://myfwc.com/whatsnew/08/statewide/ ... shGear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must carry and use circle hooks when using live or dead bait.
You must carry and use a dehooking tool (not pliers)
You must carry and use a venting tool.

http://dehooker4arc.com/store/merchant. ... y_Code=GCK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where can I buy stock in the circle hook, dehooker, and venting tool companies??? Sounds like a racket to me!! Not saying these things arent useful, just sounds like a racket!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

Does anybody know what the fine would be for not using a circle hook?
You just can't fix stupid.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

PinFishKing wrote:Does anybody know what the fine would be for not using a circle hook?

:-D BIG :-D :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
bman

Post by bman »

BB- they are good things... I love the circle hooks when you are fishing deep.
Never had a gut hooked fish.

My question is what about Grouper Jigs, If I tip it with squid is it illegal?
Or
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

bman wrote:BB- they are good things... I love the circle hooks when you are fishing deep.
Never had a gut hooked fish.

My question is what about Grouper Jigs, If I tip it with squid is it illegal?
Or
If I had to guess I would say you would be ok, but I only play an FWC officer on TV. Since the lure is the primary bait and not the squid it should be ok.

I think regs are really like this...If you get checked and you have reef fish on board, you better have these things on board.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bman

Post by bman »

You are right Tom...
From the FAQ's at http://myfwc.com/marine/GearRules/docs/ ... ngTool.pdf
What are considered natural baits?
• Natural baits include any bait derived from a living organism, either dead or alive.
• Artificial baits which include a small amount of embedded fish or shrimp are not considered natural baits.

Another thought- this is going to mess up my little bait rig... i tie a double dropper with 1/0 hooks tipped with small pieces of squid.
I guess I'll have to use small circle hooks.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

From what I have read, the FWC is going to go at it at first with an educational attitude. I read this to mean they will be checking you and if you do not have the stuff, you will be told the rules and given a warning.......

Now, I am sure out there somewhere is a real A$$hole officer that will throw the book at you on June 2nd if you do not comply. What I would like to know is why I need a venting tool in 25 to 30 ft of water? :smt012

Also, who is going to know if you use it or not? In my opinion, just another useless law from an already overly oppressive government......I bet the commercial boys do not vent every under legal fish they catch..... :smt011

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dubble Trubble wrote: Also, who is going to know if you use it or not? In my opinion, just another useless law from an already overly oppressive government......
Because Guy Harvey said you did.

Nothing against Guy but I don't see how this is going to help much if any. But then again I sell boilers and boiler parts for a living.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

bman wrote:You are right Tom...
From the FAQ's at http://myfwc.com/marine/GearRules/docs/ ... ngTool.pdf
What are considered natural baits?
• Natural baits include any bait derived from a living organism, either dead or alive.
• Artificial baits which include a small amount of embedded fish or shrimp are not considered natural baits.

Another thought- this is going to mess up my little bait rig... i tie a double dropper with 1/0 hooks tipped with small pieces of squid.
I guess I'll have to use small circle hooks.

What kind of "bait" are you fishing for? If they are not classified as "reef fish", the circle hook requirement does not apply. If they are "reef fish", you can't legally use them for bait, anyway. So called "squirrel fish" or pinfish which are often used as bait for grouper are not reef fish, per the rule. Check the rule for the list of fish that are "reef fish". It covers all of the groupers, snappers, triggers, porgys, and vermillion "snapper". So, the common practice (especially in West Florida) of using small vermillions for bait is no longer legal, if it ever was.

EJ
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote: Also, who is going to know if you use it or not? In my opinion, just another useless law from an already overly oppressive government......
Because Guy Harvey said you did.

Nothing against Guy but I don't see how this is going to help much if any. But then again I sell boilers and boiler parts for a living.

The feds were (are) convinced that there is large release mortality in reef fish, mainly caused by recreational fishermen. Although this has been hotly disputed, they have used it as part of the rationale for reducing the red snapper recreational season to what it is, and for considering further reductions in grouper. NOAA/NMFS, and particularly Roy Williams, are going to use every thing in hand to serve commercial fishing interests, and to punish anglers, whenever possible. IMO, all of this required gear is good practice, but is hardly universally an issue. For example, I have NEVER (and that means never) had to vent a fish caught in my boat, simply because where I fish and using the equipment I have the water is too shallow to make venting necessary. But, the feds now make it required on my boat as if it will make a difference. It won't.

On circle hooks, I have adjusted to using them because they seem to work a little better on hookups, but using J-hooks never seemed to result in gut hooked fish for me. But, again now required by Roy and NMFS. FWC plays monkey see-monkey do.

Feds are making it harder, more expensive, and eventually illogical for anglers to fish offshore, at all. This is intended and a natural outcome of their regulations. What regular (that means an angler with a middle class income) angler will spend time and now a heck of a lot of gas money going offshore to harvest one amberjack? Or one cobia? Or two red snapper? Or one red grouper? Not many. Effectively, these fisheries have already been turned over to the commericals, who retain huge catch limits that make their fishing still worthwhile. They spend a lot on fuel, but they get to take home thousands of pounds of fish, that command a big price at the market.

If the fisheries are in such a sad state, then there is no "surplus" that can be harvested for sale, and commercial fishing for reef fish must simply be closed. But that will never happen as long as NMFS is in their pockets.

EJ
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

De-Hooker $18, Venting Tool $11 at Wally world. Watch out Snapper tomorrow I might have to try the venting tool.
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

I just bought a top of the line meat injector at Wally World for $3.50. It is made of strong plastic with a stainless steel needle. The needle unscrews and fits inside the case where the plunger goes in for safe storage. It is extremely sharp and should make a fine venting tool.
You just can't fix stupid.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I know this is a little off topic, but I was raised on a dairy farm. When I was a little kid, dad used to "vent" cows that would get bloated. This is when a cow basically gets gas.... :smt005 If they were not vented, they could die....

He would take a long needle, and would insert it in just the right spot in the cows belly. You could hear the gas hissing as it came out. I learned quickly to stay upwind of the needle.... :o My dad said the smell did not bother him because he used to plow 2 mules... I finally figured that one out in later years.....

Just a rambling thought.....back to reading my magazine.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.