A Few questions about Cape San Blas

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aquamaholic

A Few questions about Cape San Blas

Post by Aquamaholic »

I am headed to the Cape in the next 2 weeks, will be staying 7 days with the family.

We usually put in at Eagle Harbor and fish to the East and around Blacks Island (for Trout, Flounder and Reds). We will be staying on the Cape and I am just trying to figure out if there are any other ramps to use (other than the State Park).

I would really like to put my Dad and BIL on some Cobes, I don't really know where to look for them in this area though. If anyone would'nt mind shooting me a PM with some info; I would be grateful. :smt004

I will be fishing out of a 18' Flats boat if that helps.

Thanks!
Last edited by Aquamaholic on June 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: (Move to fishing Please) A Few questions about Cape San

Post by MudDucker »

The state park is the only ramp on the Cape for your boat. Kayaks and canoes can launch at the stump hole. The closest ramp to Black's Island for your boat is Presnell's on C30. Cost $10, but they help you put in and take out and it is REAL close to Black's Island. Then there is the city ramp in Port St. Joe, which again is a shorter run than Eagle Harbor. I can't put my 24 Ol' Pro in at Presnell's, so I usually use the city ramp. Turn between the bank and hungry howie's. Nice ramp!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Re: (Move to fishing Please) A Few questions about Cape San

Post by bman »

The city ramp is nice and puts you an easy run to the buoy line but its a long drive from the cape.
A few years ago they had a week long boat ramp pass at the state park that was a lot less than paying for entry every day.

I know folks that have caught random cobes in the bay but I think most folks fish along the buoy line.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Aquamaholic

Re: A Few questions about Cape San Blas

Post by Aquamaholic »

Alright! Thanks guys. I didnt know you could get a week long pass to the park, my main problem with the park was waiting for the gate to open in the morning.

I will probably put in at the city ramp too just to try it out and run the bouys :thumbup:

Anyone know if a Loggerhead grill is still open?
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Last weekend at the actual cape, the bell buoys were holding sharks, lots of them.
bman

Post by bman »

I think they gave you a code when you got the week long pass... call and ask about that!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

bman wrote:I think they gave you a code when you got the week long pass... call and ask about that!
I think your right, I know the last time we camped down there ( several years ago) they gave us a code so we could leave and get back in at night.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I don't know if a week long pass is still available. I have a year long pass that was about 80 bucks I believe. It gets me, the truck and boat in; each additional passenger requires $2. However, I go to Ranger's desk the day I arrive and they give me the pass code. It allows me to get the early start as well as chase flounders at night. Very convenient when staying at Barrier Dunes.

There are a fair # of kings on the buoy line now, but I haven't heard about many cobes. BayGator may have some more info for you.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Thanks for all of the replies, I will call the State Park and see what options there are (I will post what I find out).

Another question... Is there a public ramp at Indian Pass?

Any general info on this area, I have never fished it always wanted to though. Looks like lots of bars to the East and West of the pass and on the North side of St. Vincent. Any areas to avoid?

Again, Thanks for all the info.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Indian pass back toward Apalachicola is pretty hairy if you don't know where all the oyster bars are. Stay in St. Joe bay and all you can do is run up on a sand bar and not damage your boat. :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Aquamaholic wrote:Alright! Thanks guys. I didnt know you could get a week long pass to the park, my main problem with the park was waiting for the gate to open in the morning.

I will probably put in at the city ramp too just to try it out and run the bouys :thumbup:

Anyone know if a Loggerhead grill is still open?
Loggerhead Grill is closed and up for sale.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

BayGator wrote:Indian pass back toward Apalachicola is pretty hairy if you don't know where all the oyster bars are. Stay in St. Joe bay and all you can do is run up on a sand bar and not damage your boat. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gottcha, maybe if I am feeling froggy I will pole around a little at low tide and mark some tracklines.
MudDucker wrote:
Loggerhead Grill is closed and up for sale.
Dang, sorry to hear that.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Just talked to the State Park on the Cape, they no longer offer the week long pass. The year long pass and daily pass are the only options. Looks like I will be using the City ramp and Presnell's for the early morning trips.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

There is a public ramp at IP. The tide really rips in there when its moving so it may make it tough to load when you want to leave. Visibility was not very good as of couple weeks ago in Indian Sound but we had no issues with oysters. Just pay close attention to your gps.
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

I usually just roll through the campground and find someone with a boat or trailer parked at thier site. I've never had any problems getting the gate code as long as you explain that you are gonna be coming in early to launch. The code usually stays the same for a few weeks at a time.