Tucker Lake/Chaires Creek

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Tucker Lake/Chaires Creek

Post by CoastalPirate »

I was just scouring over google maps for places to go wade/shore fishing with the family and noticed Tucker Lake/Chaires Creek in Bald Point State Park. Have any of yall had the chance to fish this brackish looking body of water?
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Talltails

Re: Tucker Lake/Chaires Creek

Post by Talltails »

The "lake" is pretty shallow and hot this time of year
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

If you wade in chaires creek you might sink in mud. in a boat you might get stuck in mud, the best thing about chaires creek is getting out of it! BOO chaires creek! BOO! oh by the way if there is no wind the sand gnats will make wish you had gills
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Both comments made me laugh. Thanks for the heads up! I found some posts about Chaires Creek and Tucker lake and pretty much everyone was laughing at it. So I am taking it as a place not really worth trying out at all. I will however try out the the end of Bald Point and try wading out there. Thanks for the help!
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

great winter and spring fishing.
sosprey

Post by sosprey »

Chaires Creek can be tough to get into/out of on a low tide - but I've had a couple of nice trips in there via boat and there are fish in there.
Cheer up, it gets worse...I did, and it did!!
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

There are great stories of giant trout and enormous reds that go up in chaires creek. but nobody has ever actually seen it happen. But I did see 36 year old man push a 70 year old man 200 yards in an aluminum boat up chaires creek. and i have seen a full size bay boat come out of chaires creek wide open cussing the entire way and screaming that they would never go back
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Roadtrip and sosprey your photo and comment gave me a shimmer of hope. All Ive got is a bass raider with a freshwater trolling motor, so taking my boat in there is a fading dream. Ill at least fish the mouth of the creek first. Grasscarp your comments are going to humble me one day when I get stuck in the mud there. Ive never caught a redfish or trout before so there is going to be a point when I get desperate!
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I've tried to get up to Tucker's Lake a couple of times by water but there was no way too shallow. There is an Incredible Indian Mound Island there - I would love to see it. Before the state park I drove in with a friend, the deer flies were thick thick thick.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY SKAG, GOOD TO SEE YA STILL ALIVE, THAT SEA RAY IS STILL GOING STRONG, THE GUY I SOLD IT TO WENT SKIING WITH IT THIS PAST WEEK-END. THE OLD MAN IS STILL KICKING, BUT NOT VERY HIGH.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I took my disabled buddy fishing from the bridge to nowhere there on 4th of July weekend. It was a beautiful day with a 12 Knot NE wind. We caught half a dozen ladyfish and he was very happy. However, I watched hundreds of jelly fish with tentacles, they looked like Nettles Jellies (not man o wars) swimming around in there, I dont think I would wade it now. I have caught many a trout and flounder at the mouth in the fall on that mudflat.

At Bald point, cross over the flow and wade back past the dock, then set out across the mouth towards the white pvc sticking up. That second bar usually holds Reds and flounder usually on the rising tide.

Just remember the sharks are only curious, if they wanted you they would have had you before you knew they were there. LOL! FISH ON!
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

plenty of locals swear by the place. Chaires might be Talltails secret honeyhole. He wins every tournament but you want find him fishing the usual haunts.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Watch out for sting rays on muddy bottom at Bald Point - they are there.
fishinfrenzi15

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

Have caught trout, reds, flounder during fall. But never been very far up the creek.
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

I have seen people coming out of chaires creek that looked like they were never going fishing agian. :smt011 :smt009 Fishing in chaires creek is a myth. I have fished it time and time again. It jsut looks so good, you can get out of the wind, it is like a fisherman magnet (sort of like a mirrolure, looks good, catches grass :smt009 ). Then you get close and knock the foot off the boat at the little bar out front. then you run aground on that sand bar then you start pushing. Or you make it up to tucker and you sleep with the sand gnats till morning

Just my 2 cents on chaires creek