Hogfish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Hogfish?

Post by tallykenj »

I was just reading about hogfish in the new issue of Florida Sportsman. Do we have hogfish in our area? How deep are they?
The Back Porch
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Re: Hogfish?

Post by Dockwilson »

tallykenj wrote:I was just reading about hogfish in the new issue of Florida Sportsman. Do we have hogfish in our area? How deep are they?
Yes. I have seen them in 30' when I used to dive. Don't think they bite a hook, always got them spear fishing . Good eating.
Salt Life
Location: I come from where the river meets the sea Live Oak Island

Post by Salt Life »

yes ! 40 ft only fish other than yellowfin tuna I will eat ! The meat isnt white .... Its translucient ( not spelled right )
Go shoot ya some ~!
BE GOOD AND FISH OFTEN
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

What do they actually eat? They evidently don't eat anything we use for bait. I've seen pictures of speared one's but never seen one in person or eaten one.
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

I've been told they eat mostly lobsters and other crustaceans
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

I had a friend last year catch one(by luck of course) about 81/2 miles out from Dog Island. He kept it not wanting to share ,but I have heard they are delicious.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

My book says, "Common only in the eastern and southeastern Gulf of Mexico on coral reefs, rocky areas, and open hard bottom in shallow nearshore waters less than 100 feet deep. Some stragglers are found in the northern Gulf.

The fish form small loose schools of 2 or 3 up to 20 fish. It is commpnly caught with shallow or moderate-depth snapper species. It eats a variety of reef creatures including sea urchins, crabs, and even sponges, but clams and snails make up over 80 percent of its diet. It is a protogynous hermaphrodite. All of them are females after hatching, turning into males as they grow larger.

Average size 4-5 pounds but can grow to over 20 pounds and three feet in length.

Food value is excellent.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Seen more than one speared in local 20' depths. Never seen one caught on line & hook, though after reading the information may try using a freshly cleaned scallop to snag one next trip out! :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945