Cleaning scallops

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redbelly7

Cleaning scallops

Post by redbelly7 »

Which is the best way to clean scallops? Using a shop vac or just pulling the scrap away w/ scallop knife?
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Cleaning scallops

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D We clean them with sharpened heavy teaspoons while on the boat. No way I would want to clean the vac. I can clean a closed up scallop in less than 10 seconds. Faster if opened. :-D
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I second the spoon technique.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Used to take all of my daughter's friends out when she was growing up. As the only adult cleaning I would use the shopvac method once home. I had a separate shopvac I found at a garage sale just for that purpose.

Instead of a spoon I use a grapefruit knife...
bman

Post by bman »

Put the fresh scallops on top of the ice and they will open up... then use the spoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P_6dJei0wA[/video]

I have used the vac and after cleaning it up I'm convinced the spoon is better
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

bman wrote:Put the fresh scallops on top of the ice and they will open up... then use the spoon.
http://youtu.be/2P_6dJei0wA[/video]

I have used the vac and after cleaning it up I'm convinced the spoon is better
this
Stay Thirsty My Friends
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I have a stubby knife I prefer, but I have cleaned a slew with a spoon. No shop vac for me. That means two messes to clean up and you will still have a smelly vac. :smt012
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I've always used a teaspoon with a fine pointed handle. Hold the scallop with a gloved hand, dark side up. Some can be picked up with the shell opened a little or the handle of the spoon can open the shell a little. Then use the spoon to cut through the top muscle close to the shell. Remove the top (darker) shell and tease the black gooey stuff off the attached muscle of the bottom shell. It is kind of tricky but with a little practice it comes off easy. Then scoop out the muscle.

Ice will help open some but we don't use ice. They will open on their own without that expense. As long as they are alive they won't spoil.

I've never used a shop vac but it's because I'm so cheap. A small shop vac can be purchased for around $25.00 which may be a good deal. The next good scallop year we have, I plan to buy a shop vac and try it.

If we clean them on the boat the waste is stored in a bucket and dumped overboard out of the area our children/grandchildren are swimming and away from the area others are scalloping. No need to invite problem fish in the area humans are swimming.

When we clean them off the boat, one person can remove the top shell as fast as two - ten can clean the scallop, depending on their level of experience. A good family activity. About as good as shelling butter beans! Clean up good after finishing or it will be a stinking mess the next morning.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Do you sharpen the spoon to open them or to get separation of the guts to pull out?
bman

Post by bman »

Sharpening it some will help you get in the shell on the ones that don't want to open.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
loki2

Post by loki2 »

I USED TO USE A STUBBY KNIFE FOR MANY YEARS. TRIED THE SHOP VAC A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND LOVED IT. ALSO ,I PREFER TO ICE THEM AS IT SEEMS TO STIFFEN THE MUSCLE AND MAKES IT LESS DELICATE FOR CLEANING.
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

^5 on the spoon, after the first 20 or so it is all downhill. Put them on top of a bed of ice and they seem to open part way. Patience.
for petes sake
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Thanks Guys, Bman, the video really answered some questions. I wondered which side to keep up and at what angle to scoop guts. I was definitely going at it wrong. Thanks again!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

redbelly7 wrote:Do you sharpen the spoon to open them or to get separation of the guts to pull out?

No, We have an assortment of spoons. I just pick out the ones with the thinnest handle ends. Some spoon handles are so big on the end they would never work.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I have found that a grapefruit spoon exceeds at cleaning. The slight serration helps grap onto the guts better than a basic spoon.
850-273-8818