Scalloping boat driving etiquette rant!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boomhauer

Scalloping boat driving etiquette rant!!!

Post by boomhauer »

I can't be the only one who finds it totally unbelievable that grown men would rip through the scalloping fleet at wot without a care in the world. We had at least 5 or 6 buzz is off at marks as they were heading back in.
I just don't get it.... They can't idle another 10 minutes to clear the fleet? Some of the boosts were within 200 ft or so!
I could easily list out the name and make of several of them but I won't for now.... Maybe conviction will set in next time they read of a scalloper getting chopped to bits by some jerk in too big of a hurry ....

BtW.... Scallops not as thick as last year , but when they grow a little, it will be fine...

Sorry for rant
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Scalloping boat driving etiquette rant!!!

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I don't understand it either. Last season I was out with a friend in 2 boats and we were anchored 50 yards apart and we had a boat run between us. I saw them coming and ran up on the deck waving my arms and shouting. Pointing to the water between us as we had kids with us. Woman sitting in front of the driver just flicked me off and they chugged right on through. It was an Aqua and white hurricane style boat. We got on 16 and hailed marine patrol. They were in the area in minutes. Don't know if they got them or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I've seen WAAAYYYY TOO many scallopers WAAAYYYY TOO far from their boat, absolutely oblivious that they're that far from a dive flag. I try to avoid the scalloping fleet by a quarter mile minimum if possible, if not we slow down and watch for someone too far from their boat! I'm one of the most impatient individuals living, and I slow down, so if I can, everyone can!! To me, the Lanark is one of the most dangerous areas for trying to navigate the fleet, as they are usually stacked up pretty thick between the mainland and Lanark reef, and working your way through can be tricky, especially if you have proper respect and etiquette. Hopefully these idiots who can't seem to grasp they're too close to scallopers get some serious fines from FWC or Coast Guard before someone loses their life.
bman

Post by bman »

Same guys that buzz bikers and drive too fast through neighborhoods....

You can't fix stupid.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I was fishing yesterday morning so not anywhere close to the fleet, headed back to deeper water using the trolling motor and ran across a single boat with no dive flag and people in the water a good ways from the boat... stupid abounds.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

What is the law or "proper etiquette" when it comes to dive flags in the water? Also how far can divers be from their boat?
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Divers supposed to stay within 300' of flag on a boat and 100' of a floating flag if in open water. Boater supposed to be at idle inside that same zone of the flag. Monkey is on the vessel to avoid divers.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
bman

Post by bman »

Simple rule is a football field away or idle...

The size of divers-down flags displayed on vessels must be at least 20 inches by 24 inches, and a stiffener is required to keep the flag unfurled. Divers-down flags on vessels must be displayed above the vessel's highest point so that the flag's visibility is not obstructed in any direction.

Diver-down symbols displayed from the water must be at least 12 inches by 12 inches and can be in the form of a flag or a buoy. The buoys must be three or four sided and have a divers-down symbol displayed on each of the flat sides. A divers-down buoy may not be used or displayed on a vessel.

Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down flag or buoy on open waters (all waterways other than rivers, inlets or navigation channels) and within 100 feet of a flag within rivers, inlets, or navigation channels.

Vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from divers-down flags or buoys on open waters and at least 100 feet from flags or buoys on rivers, inlets or navigation channels. Vessels approaching divers-down flags or buoys closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow to idle speed.

When divers are out of the water, a dive flag or buoy may not be displayed.

http://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/#nogo
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Don't know why I expected things to be any different on a Sunday...... Same crap. Finally I had enough and we kept flag up and started drifting away from the anchored fleet. We held on to short rope lines from the boat. Actually felt safer doing this than being anchored. Lanark is tough as there isn't much room to transit, by there is plenty at st marks. Saw on of the previous days buzzers pulling in to the ramp today..... All I could do to not say anything. I hate to think we can't self correct this as sportsman, but I don't have high hopes..... Maybe a few fines as some have said are called for!

Still a blessing to get to enjoy time on the water with responsible boaters...
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I have observed crazy behavior both from those scalloping and those moving through the scallopers. Last year I was easing along and had a diver come up very close to my boat well over a hundred yards from any boat or flag.

Safety is a 2 way street. Everyone needs to be vigilant!

It is crazy how many scallop now. When I started gathering scallops 45 years ago, people would see me and think I was crazy to be out swimming. Might be 2 or 3 boats out of Keaton getting scallops. Game wardens would see them in the cooler and not even ask how many you though you might have.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Two year ago had some idiot in a Sea Hag rental run between my boat and some of my people in the water on plane. I'm yelling, waving and making every gesture imaginable and he finally looks up and just waves, oblivious. I needed words with him but never saw him again.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Don't worry. It was not just the scallopers who needed an etiquette lesson on Saturday. The fishing was tough and I moved around a bunch. Was drifting over a bar and had 2 boats run by less than 150 yards away from me with no other boats in sight. Moved to another flat and had fourteen boats around me. I was fortunate enough to catch a few ladyfish, two short trout, and a 23" beauty. I put the fish in the box and looked up to see another boat who had pulled his anchor and was idling towards me. He turned to his crew and said " I can't tell what he is using, but it looks shiny" I guess he did not realize how well sound carries over water. They got very excited because they saw a shark in the water and it was acting strange right in front of their boat. One of the crew, "Why is he acting that way?". I didn't answer, I just reeled the shark in to keep them from running over my drift rod and cutting me off. "Oh man, he has another fish. This must be a good spot!" and they drop their anchor right there and begin fishing while I am releasing the shark. I start my motor to prevent a collision and idle upcurrent away from them. I get to the edge of the flat and start my next drift. First cast is a short, and then a 17" trout. I box that fish and hear voices again. A different boat has pulled his anchor and he has motored to where I caught the fish and anchored up and his crew of 3 is now fishing within casting distance of me. Feeling a little claustrophobic, I eased out of the group and headed for the ramp. We all share the water and the more polite we are to each other, the happier we all will be. If you are one of those boaters, I would have told you what I was doing. all I ask for is a little space. If you see fish running baits all over the surface, don't fish a stationary popping cork (unless you have one of those live baits underneath it). The fish were eating pogies, so I was fishing a minnow imitation and working it like it was scared to death. It wasn't the spot that was important. The fish were in schools moving all over the flat. It was matching the hatch when the school went by. You saw me catch 2 keepers. what you missed was the first 4 hours of fishing without a legal fish.
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

I intentionally stayed between Gray Mare Rock and the lighthouse, the side that has less scallops and thought well we are over here we should be safe. Nope, when those jokers finished scalloping instead of heading back the normal way they decided to go full throttle in 4 ft of water all the way back and came right by us and my divers in the water. you cant win
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

It's a general lack of common courtesy. These are the same people that are 100% sure they can drive a car perfectly fine while texting. They are so self absorbed they can't imagine anyone else dare interfere with their daily existence.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

guthooked wrote:It's a general lack of common courtesy. These are the same people that are 100% sure they can drive a car perfectly fine while texting. They are so self absorbed they can't imagine anyone else dare interfere with their daily existence.
So true. The Golden Rule works as well on the water as it does on terra firma, but unfortunately in today's society it's all falling by the wayside. I've written about flats etiquette a couple of times in the past. The folks who get it already know the drill and the ones who don't just don't care about anything but themselves.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat