Little Help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HammerHammer

Little Help

Post by HammerHammer »

Hey everyone. I booked a place in Steinhatchee for this weekend a while back. Now as the time is closer, it looks like the weather won't be too great for me to go offshore. I was planning on doing a dive trip out 25 miles and check out some wrecks. My question for those of you who do go offshore here -- does this weekend look like too much for a 23' bay boat? I know 2-3' here can mean something different than 2-3' on the Atlantic where I am. And if your answer is what it I think it will be, what should I have in mind for my "Plan B?"

Thank you all in advance. I'm trying to make a good birthday weekend for my girlfriend.
FishWithChris

Re: Little Help

Post by FishWithChris »

2'-3' can turn to 4'-5' in a matter of minutes. Minutes that can equate to disaster.

a 23' bay boat is great... in the bay. But that far out, no way. Not diving at least.

Plan B: Depends on what you draft, but chase after some trout and reds, stay in and run'n'gun after bait pods for spani-macks, etc...
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Looks too rough to me. If they miss it just a little, which they are known to do, then it will be uncomfortable, and it is a small window 1st thing Sat morning. Lot of gear to lug around for that forecast.
HammerHammer

Post by HammerHammer »

I appreciate the input. The marina said people went offshore today. I guess I'll hope for the best and plan for the worst. I'll have some inshore poles with me if I need to stay close in to shore. Thanks again.
HammerHammer

Post by HammerHammer »

Update: The forecast was wrong and it was about a 1.5 foot chop out to 25 miles and we were able to comfortably get out. Crisis averted. Everyone out there was great and we can't wait to get back.

FYI: The arti reefs we very alive with keeper grouper on just about every piece of structure we saw from 15'-50'. Also saw some monster ajs to about 50 lbs.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

heck yeah man. that's awesome.

Get some pictures posted!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image