Chandeleur Islands

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Russ@R&R

Re: Chandeleur Islands

Post by Russ@R&R »

Will do. "Shoestring"? You're going to have to tell me the story behind that! lol
Willie

Re: Chandeleur Islands

Post by Willie »

The trip was great. I would definitely recommend it to everyone that likes to fish for reds and trout. Not sure how to post pics so the descriptions will have to do.

Took off from the marina Thursday late afternoon and started motoring to the fishing grounds. It's about a 4 hour run depending on where they decide to fish. The wind was blowing so they opted to run a little further south than they would normally go. Enjoyed some cocktails and laughs on the way and dropped anchor around 10pm. By six the next morning they had the boats in the water and breakfast on the table. The captain and crew did a great job on the boat. They are very accommodating and knowledgeable.

There were 12 of us on the trip so we took off in 6 different skiffs heading in different directions. Everyone found redfish and trout without much trouble. Like everyone the board said, what works on the big bend area worked there. We were able to fish some topwater in the protected coves and had some success. Most of the fishing was done under cork with Matrix Shad. The fish there are BIG!! Everyone caught slot reds and oversized reds. The largest went 42 inches with the average being 34 inches. These are big fish that can pull some line. It was a ton of fun. I don't remember anyone measuring a trout. The bite would turn on and bam,bam bam you would put 6-8 in the boat within 30 minutes.

I can't wait to go back for another trip.