Chandeleur Islands

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Willie

Chandeleur Islands

Post by Willie »

I'm heading out late next week for a trip out of Biloxi to the Chandeleur Islands. This will be my first time on one of these 3 day mothership charters. Anyone done this before? If so, any advice on what to bring or expect would be great. The operator has a list of gear to bring but it's pretty general. Any advice would be appreciated.
DAWG FAN

Re: Chandeleur Islands

Post by DAWG FAN »

Give us a review when you get back. I've been wanting to do it for a while.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
Willie

Post by Willie »

Will do Dawgfan. We've been talking about this trip for a while ourselves.
Finally had a chance to put a boatload of old fraternity brothers together the trip. Looking forward to it.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

Is this trip with Capt. Charles with I'm Alone Charters?
Willie

Post by Willie »

No, this is who we are going out with
Chandeleur Islands Fishing Charters with Southern Sports Fishing -- www.chandeleurfishingcharters.com
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Willie wrote:No, this is who we are going out with
Chandeleur Islands Fishing Charters with Southern Sports Fishing -- http://www.chandeleurfishingcharters.com

wait wait wait... this charter asks you to BRING everything? They don't provide anything other than the boats (to fish/sleep), "3 gourmet meals a day," and guides?
Willie wrote: This will be my first time on one of these 3 day mothership charters. Anyone done this before? If so, any advice on what to bring or expect would be great. The operator has a list of gear to bring but it's pretty general. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd call and confirm if they're providing any supplies. Otherwise, bring everything you would to fish the big bend/forgotten coast areas.
[b]From the CI SSF Charters Page[/b] wrote:Personal Cooler To Take Cleaned Fish
2 Rods casting or spinning
2 Reels, filled with 10-12 lb. test line
Small tackle box
Spoons
Topwater lures
Plastics - touts, cocahoes, shrimp tails, etc.
1/8 and 1/4 oz. Jig heads
30 lb. monofilament leaders
Popping or rattling corks
Wade fishing gear
Cap and polarized sunglasses
Alcoholic beverages
CameraLA fishing license (available HERE).

Either way, you're going to have a blast and catch a ton of industrial sized redfish. Absolute blast fishing over there.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have fished out there twice but by float plane (neworleansfishing.com), not a mothership operation. Always wanted to try that too and will one of these days.

Might still be a tad early for the really big trout. The reds will be abundant, though.

The suggested charter list sounds about right. I'd also take along a spool of 20-pound test leader, some DOA 1/4-ounce shrimp in near clear and root beer, plus a spare reel spool filled with line. And don't forget the sunscreen either.

You're going to have a great time. Give us a report with a charter review and lots of photos!

Tight lines!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Willie

Post by Willie »

wait wait wait... this charter asks you to BRING everything? They don't provide anything other than the boats (to fish/sleep), "3 gourmet meals a day," and guides?
I was surprised myself when I saw this. I did confirm this with the charter and this is how they operate. I didn't book the charter but did look at a few other charter companies and they all seem to work the same way.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

Some friends from north florida and South Georgia and I went a few years back, and we had a blast. Just have the right clothing according to the weather. After we got there it turned cold and we were fishing in insulated coveralls. But you won't be disappointed for sure. I would take redfish majic and super spook jr's along with what SK said.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

Dawg Fan do you know Mark Boles from Dawson? He was with us when we went.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

It's always a good idea to take your own tackle. I've fished with guides and will never under any circumstances depend on their gear. Learned the hard way too many times ( exactly 3). It's disappointing to spend that kind of coIn and get handed a sorry rod and reel with crappy mono. A buddy hired a guide in La and was promised decent tackle and they ended up on another boat with garbage. Maybe he will chime in. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Hey crippledminnow, I know Mark and my brother-in-law was Vice President at Peerless Mfg. where Mark works. I was born and raised in Dawson before moving to Lee Co. in 1998.
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

I'm interested in knowing how your trip goes. I'm booked to go a trip over there in May and from what a couple buddies that have been several times they say its a blast. We were told to bring about the same things that you were told. Have a good trip and let us know how it goes
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

Crippledminnow, I do not know him.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

Russ, The next time you see "shoestring" tell him Bobby from Wacissa said howdy!