FINE PER FISH OVER THE LIMIT

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

FINE PER FISH OVER THE LIMIT

Post by Sir reel »

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE REGARDING WHAT A FINE COULD BE PER FISH (TROUT) OVER THE LIMIT?? lIKE 2X
THANKS
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: FINE PER FISH OVER THE LIMIT

Post by Salty Gator »

Quick google search

379.407 Administration; rules, publications, records; penalties; injunctions.—
(1) BASE PENALTIES.—Unless otherwise provided by law, any person, firm, or corporation who violates any provision of this chapter, or any rule of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission relating to the conservation of marine resources, shall be punished:
(a) Upon a first conviction, by imprisonment for a period of not more than 60 days or by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(b) On a second or subsequent conviction within 12 months, by imprisonment for not more than 6 months or by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $1,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Upon final disposition of any alleged offense for which a citation for any violation of this chapter or the rules of the commission has been issued, the court shall, within 10 days, certify the disposition to the commission.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

THANKS SG. DO THE STATUES IDENTIFY WHEN THE SIESURE OF EQUIPMENT, LICSENCE SUSPENDED,ECT. KICK IN ?

IS THE CAPTAIN THE ONLY ONE RESPONSIBLE UNDER THE LAW? EX. 2 FISHERMEN 20 TROUT DO BOTH GET CHARGED O R JUST CAPTIAN??
Last edited by Sir reel on March 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sir reel wrote:THANGS SG. DO THE STATUES IDENTIFY WHEN THE SIESURE OF EQUIPMENT, LICSENCE SUSPENDED,ECT. KICK IN ?
You going rogue on us Bud?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

NOPE... I'M GATHER 'N INFORMATION TO EDUCATE A FAMILY MEMBER. :smt011
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sir reel wrote:THANKS SG. DO THE STATUES IDENTIFY WHEN THE SIESURE OF EQUIPMENT, LICSENCE SUSPENDED,ECT. KICK IN ?

IS THE CAPTAIN THE ONLY ONE RESPONSIBLE UNDER THE LAW? EX. 2 FISHERMEN 20 TROUT DO BOTH GET CHARGED O R JUST CAPTIAN??
I could be wrong, but I imagine they get a slap on the wrist if it's a first offense. There are plenty of folks getting caught for worse with minimal penalties. Nothing wrong with scaring them a little though :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sir reel wrote:THANKS SG. DO THE STATUES IDENTIFY WHEN THE SIESURE OF EQUIPMENT, LICSENCE SUSPENDED,ECT. KICK IN ?

I could be wrong, but I imagine they get a slap on the wrist if it's a first offense. There are plenty of folks getting caught for worse with minimal penalties. Nothing wrong with scaring them a little though :thumbup:
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I unfortunately have a bit of insight here.

I few years ago, me and a buddy decided to go out on a fishing trip out of Econfina for a couple days. We fished for two days and stayed out on the water overnight. We thought, since the daily limit was 5 per day, and we were out there for two days we could have 2 limits. (Apparently this is the case for some species if you are on a charter boat.) We come in at the end of the second day, we are the only truck in the lot, and Barney Fife hops out of the woods as soon as we get off the boat. We were informed that the trout limit is in fact a possession limit and not a daily limit (it was my fault for not knowing this, and I learned it the hard way) and we had 14 trout between the two of us. Both of us got summons to the Taylor County Courthouse, and our fish were confiscated (hopefully they went to a needy family). We go to court, plead no contest, and each of us get a $250 fine.

Moral of the story: know the laws and know the interpretation of the laws
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

THANKS FOR SHARING ugadawg I BELIEVE THAT MAY ADDRESS ONE OF MY QUESTIONS, THAT BEING IS THE CAPTAIN/BOAT OWNER THE PRIMARY RESPONSIBLE PARTY FOR AN OVER LIMIT SITUATION. ans = NO, RESPONSABILITY WOULD SEEM TO BE SHARED.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

IT DEPENDS ON WHICH COUNTY YOU ARE IN AND IT'S UP TO THE JUDGE , EACH FISH OVER THE LIMIT COULD BE CHARGED AS A SEPERATE VIOLATION , YOU COULD EVEN GET JAIL TIME IF THE JUDGE IS SO INCLINED . AND HAVE YOUR LICENSE REVOKED AS WELL . A LOT DEPENDS ON YOUR PAST CRIMINAL HISTORY AND YOU . BUT IN THE END IT'S ALL UP TO THE JUDGE .
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

ugadawg wrote:I unfortunately have a bit of insight here.

I few years ago, me and a buddy decided to go out on a fishing trip out of Econfina for a couple days. We fished for two days and stayed out on the water overnight. We thought, since the daily limit was 5 per day, and we were out there for two days we could have 2 limits. (Apparently this is the case for some species if you are on a charter boat.) We come in at the end of the second day, we are the only truck in the lot, and Barney Fife hops out of the woods as soon as we get off the boat. We were informed that the trout limit is in fact a possession limit and not a daily limit (it was my fault for not knowing this, and I learned it the hard way) and we had 14 trout between the two of us. Both of us got summons to the Taylor County Courthouse, and our fish were confiscated (hopefully they went to a needy family). We go to court, plead no contest, and each of us get a $250 fine.

Moral of the story: know the laws and know the interpretation of the laws

This is good to know because I always thought there were possession limits along with the daily limits, a lot of times I'll go two days in a row and have a limit from the day before in the back of my truck on ice. Maybe it's not the same situation since you had them all together in your boat. Might need to ask an officer about this next time I see one.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I don't believe I would take a family member or anyone else on my boat who insisted on not following the law. Problem solved.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Steve Stinson wrote:I don't believe I would take a family member or anyone else on my boat who insisted on not following the law. Problem solved.
. No doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

That two-day possession scenario can definitely sneak up on an angler who has not thought ahead. I remember fishing in the Rock The Dock (two-day) tournament a few years back - when the daily red limit was still 2 per person - and getting really worried all of a sudden while driving towards second day weigh-in.

I had two reds from that day in one cooler on the front seat...but forgot to take a cooler out of the back of my station wagon that still held one red from the previous day's fishing. Figuring that with my luck I'd get busted by FWC at a weigh-in checkpoint, I immediately pulled over and offered one red to a roadside cane-poler at the St Marks Refuge. She mistook my paranoia for generosity.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

In the event of a multiple days catch. All you have to do is clean the previous days catch and your good to go. Clean fish are considered food and will not go under fish possession. That is if your transporting fish in a vehicle not on a boat. It is only legal to transport one mans two day limit per person(fish in whole). Anything over is over possession and could face fine.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki