Advice Newport Park

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dixie Dawg

Advice Newport Park

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Going to get some camping in before it gets too hot. I'm staying at Newport Park it'll be my first time, always seen it from the road and wanted to try it. I talked to the lady on the phone and she said that have a ramp there. Better to launch there and run the river to the flats or trailer to fort or lighthouse? I'm staying friday-Sunday. 19ft polar.
bbb

Re: Advice Newport Park

Post by bbb »

I would pull the boat to the Lighthouse myself.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Dixie Dawg wrote:Going to get some camping in before it gets too hot. I'm staying at Newport Park it'll be my first time, always seen it from the road and wanted to try it. I talked to the lady on the phone and she said that have a ramp there. Better to launch there and run the river to the flats or trailer to fort or lighthouse? I'm staying friday-Sunday. 19ft polar.
As always, secure and lock up all valuables and the trash can :-D before leaving camp to fish.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Yeah probably. Just wondering how navigable the stretch of river is, I guess wanting opinions on putting in once and having a long ride out of the river Versus dealing with weekend spring traffic at the big ramps. I doubt tide will be an issue at the lighthouse this weekend, for my boat at least.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

reelbad wrote:
Dixie Dawg wrote:Going to get some camping in before it gets too hot. I'm staying at Newport Park it'll be my first time, always seen it from the road and wanted to try it. I talked to the lady on the phone and she said that have a ramp there. Better to launch there and run the river to the flats or trailer to fort or lighthouse? I'm staying friday-Sunday. 19ft polar.
As always, secure and lock up all valuables and the trash can :-D before leaving camp to fish.
Is there an issue with people stealing or are you just talking about raccoons?

Also, how bad are tide fluctuations that far upriver, as far as leaving my boat in and tied up? Tide chart not showing a ton of water movement this weekend anyway.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I would just be sure to not leave anything unlocked and unsecured while away from camp. I also would not leave my boat in the water over night. As far as folks stealing at that campground I don't know that to be a problem, just sayin be careful.
bbb

Post by bbb »

River is very navigable but there is a nice stretch of no wake zone to slow you down even more. Once at the fort, you still have a 6 mile run to the lighthouse.

Choice #1 Lighthouse: you are camping right at the entrance to the Refuge. 10-15 drive and you're there.

Choice 2: Fort. Enjoyable 6 mile ride to open water.

Choice 3: Newport. Great if family is in tow and you're not in a hurry to get to the fishing grounds.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Appreciate the advice. May just try the Newport landing Saturday since I'll have all day, might ride the wife up the wakulla that afternoon. Also see something new I've never been on the stretch between the fort and 98 on the st marks.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Were the locals catching mullet yet?
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

The ramp at Newport can be a challenge at low tide. It's VERY slippery so use caution if you wade in there to launch or load the boat. There is also a bit of a drop off at the end of the relatively short ramp. Not really suited for big boats, more of a river boat kind of ramp.

And yes....that is a nice ride that your family will enjoy a lot. Have fun. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

rockyg wrote:The ramp at Newport can be a challenge at low tide. It's VERY slippery so use caution if you wade in there to launch or load the boat. There is also a bit of a drop off at the end of the relatively short ramp. Not really suited for big boats, more of a river boat kind of ramp.

And yes....that is a nice ride that your family will enjoy a lot. Have fun. :thumbup:
Never did launch there ended up just trailering to lighthouse.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I've busted my bum on every boat ramp in this region. You'd think I would learn, especially after the 1 time it resulted in me cutting my thumb so bad you could see white meet.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

rockyg wrote:The ramp at Newport can be a challenge at low tide. It's VERY slippery so use caution if you wade in there to launch or load the boat. There is also a bit of a drop off at the end of the relatively short ramp. Not really suited for big boats, more of a river boat kind of ramp.

Yes what he said, I've taken my Jon boat down there before and backed off the end of the ramp, so watch the tides of gonna launch there, I would launch at the light house, my 2 cents, you would be fishing in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

IF YOU DECIDE TO GO UP RIVER FROM THE RAMP, ROCKS LOTS OF ROCKS , DOWN RIVER IS FINE JUST WATCH FOR SKIERS ON THE CURVES GOING DOWN RIVER .
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I recently watched a guy get stuck after backing up off the ramp. His full size pickup truck couldn't get the trailer back up. A few guys finally helped out with the old bouncing up and down on the bumper trick and what happened next I'll never forget - the trailer shot up, crashed back down and broke in half.

Another less dramatic story which also happened recently was this fat drunk woman bringing her children down to swim and not paying enough attention to tell them not to swim right where I was fishing. Had she even been paying attention I doubt the outcome would have been much different.