Cast net recommendations

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Cast net recommendations

Post by Salty Gator »

Calusa's website also has a good tutorial. Throwing a net isn't so much about strength, but technique. Kinda like throwing a frisbee. They can get heavy, but you probably won't want one that big. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Eliza wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:It depends on what you want to net. Bait? Mullet? And how deep of water you intend to use it. If you just want to learn, a 6' bait net would be a good start. And nets are like anything else, you can spend a little or a lot. Good luck
Thank you! I definitely want to catch bait AND mullet... mullet dip... yummmmm :lick:
Not a true cracker until you love fried mullet. Lol
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Eliza wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:You should also go on Youtube to see some different methods of throwing. I did not realize how many ways to throw a net there are! Weights should not be an issue. Watch some of those videos. There are some kids throwing pretty good size nets. Good luck.
That's the plan! Good to know there's a technique to manage the weight. I predict lots of awkward throws and hilarity while I learn. :lol:
No witness? never happened!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

X2, call Tim Wade, he can assist you. Having thrown a net the last 25 years in South FL, and been chasing bait up here for two years, I usually throw a 10ft, 3/8, 1.5lb/ft. Mullet and white bait up here is shallow and seems to run fast, im thinking of going back to an 8 ft, little lighter net to get a little faster on the throw and gain some distance.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

onefishtwofish wrote:
Eliza wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:You should also go on Youtube to see some different methods of throwing. I did not realize how many ways to throw a net there are! Weights should not be an issue. Watch some of those videos. There are some kids throwing pretty good size nets. Good luck.
That's the plan! Good to know there's a technique to manage the weight. I predict lots of awkward throws and hilarity while I learn. :lol:
No witness? never happened!
LOL - truth!!
I like people who are DTF... down to fish!!
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Eliza wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:It depends on what you want to net. Bait? Mullet? And how deep of water you intend to use it. If you just want to learn, a 6' bait net would be a good start. And nets are like anything else, you can spend a little or a lot. Good luck
Thank you! I definitely want to catch bait AND mullet... mullet dip... yummmmm :lick:
Not a true cracker until you love fried mullet. Lol
Loved it the first time I tried it!!
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

UFBeef wrote:X2, call Tim Wade, he can assist you. Having thrown a net the last 25 years in South FL, and been chasing bait up here for two years, I usually throw a 10ft, 3/8, 1.5lb/ft. Mullet and white bait up here is shallow and seems to run fast, im thinking of going back to an 8 ft, little lighter net to get a little faster on the throw and gain some distance.
Thank you!!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Practice, practice, practice!! Stay with it and you'll learn. I had an uncle that was 5' 7" and 100# soaking wet. He could throw a 10-12' net with the best of them in belly deep water. Many different ways/techniques in throwing one.

Welcome and good luck :beer:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Cast Net King
850-838-0104

Mutt and Pat Gilliam. Fantastic people, very down to earth. They live at Nutall Rise and can meet you at JR's Store. Will personally fit a net to you and give you lessons.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

micci_man wrote:Practice, practice, practice!! Stay with it and you'll learn. I had an uncle that was 5' 7" and 100# soaking wet. He could throw a 10-12' net with the best of them in belly deep water. Many different ways/techniques in throwing one.

Welcome and good luck :beer:
Same height, but I have 50# on him!! I'm hoping to give it a try for the first time this evening with a friend's net.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

trout fisher wrote:Cast Net King
850-838-0104

Mutt and Pat Gilliam. Fantastic people, very down to earth. They live at Nutall Rise and can meet you at JR's Store. Will personally fit a net to you and give you lessons.
Thank you so much- I will give them a call!