Cast net recommendations

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Eliza

Cast net recommendations

Post by Eliza »

Hey guys! :smt006

I'm new to fishing this area. I'm a pretty-well seasoned with striped bass fishing in the Atlantic. Now that I'm on the Gulf, I have so much to learn!!
I really want to learn how to use a cast net this year (and bow fish.. but that's for another post and for when I have more money LOL).

What do y'all recommend for a cast net? Does it matter that I'm a woman (like, do I need a net with lighter weights?)

I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to give.
:D
Happy fishing!
I like people who are DTF... down to fish!!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Cast net recommendations

Post by Gulf Coast »

Am I dreaming ? :smt004
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

It depends on what you want to net. Bait? Mullet? And how deep of water you intend to use it. If you just want to learn, a 6' bait net would be a good start. And nets are like anything else, you can spend a little or a lot. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Salty Gator wrote:It depends on what you want to net. Bait? Mullet? And how deep of water you intend to use it. If you just want to learn, a 6' bait net would be a good start. And nets are like anything else, you can spend a little or a lot. Good luck
Thank you! I definitely want to catch bait AND mullet... mullet dip... yummmmm :lick:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Then you will probably need 2 nets. Mullet nets are usually 1" mesh or larger. Bait nets come in lots of sizes but 3/8" mesh does well for most baits. If your net mesh is too big, you end up with a net full of gilled bait( or they can swim out). Pita to clean out. Different brands offer more and less lead. That has to do with depth. You probably should check the websites of good cast net makers and talk to them about what you need. Black pearl, calusa and cracker ate brands that come to mind. Good luck
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

is this another Redfin prank? :lol:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

milto wrote:is this another Redfin prank? :lol:
Probably :roll:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

If a Redfin prank, he's taken it to a whole new level as the email appears to be legitimate and Ms. Partington's professional credentials can be found on LinkedIn.

Assuming that Redfin's not pulling a prank, welcome to the board Eliza. Hope that you find it to be a respectful place where you can gain a great deal of knowledge regarding the area's fishing. :thumbup:
Last edited by big bend gyrene on May 9th, 2017, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Not me--- welcome!
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Some of the best nets made are by Tim Wade over in Melbourne FL. They are reasonably priced for the great quality you'll get. You can find his phone number online and he will talk with you about what you will want to net, depth, weight, etc. and will make a net for you or refer you to a tackle store that has what you need.

You will find that the folks on this forum have a wealth of information and will be very helpful to you as you learn the area. It's really a family and you can count on them. Welcome to God's country.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Salty Gator wrote:Then you will probably need 2 nets. Mullet nets are usually 1" mesh or larger. Bait nets come in lots of sizes but 3/8" mesh does well for most baits. If your net mesh is too big, you end up with a net full of gilled bait( or they can swim out). Pita to clean out. Different brands offer more and less lead. That has to do with depth. You probably should check the websites of good cast net makers and talk to them about what you need. Black pearl, calusa and cracker ate brands that come to mind. Good luck
Good to know... before this post, I knew nothing!! :o
Thanks so much for the information!
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Limitless wrote:Some of the best nets made are by Tim Wade over in Melbourne FL. They are reasonably priced for the great quality you'll get. You can find his phone number online and he will talk with you about what you will want to net, depth, weight, etc. and will make a net for you or refer you to a tackle store that has what you need.

You will find that the folks on this forum have a wealth of information and will be very helpful to you as you learn the area. It's really a family and you can count on them. Welcome to God's country.
Why, thank you! I'm loving it here and taking advantage of every minute I can to be enjoying the North FL life.
I will definitely be calling Tim - not only did I only want to buy American, being able to talk to an expert will get me catching more quickly and throwing successfully (I hope!) faster. I'm a bit intimidated by how heavy those things are!!! thank you so much for the info, advice, and warm welcome. :)
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

big bend gyrene wrote:If a Redfin prank, he's taken it to a whole new level as the email appears to be legitimate and Ms. Partingtington's professional credentials can be found on LinkedIn.

Assuming that Redfin's not pulling a prank, welcome to the board Eliza. Hope that you find it to be a respectful place where you can gain a great deal of knowledge regarding the area's fishing. :thumbup:
LOL :lol: Yes, I can be found on LinkedIn and am pretty real. I also post my adventures on IG... you will see a sad lack of fish pictures, though. Hopefully that will change soon!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You should also go on Youtube to see some different methods of throwing. I did not realize how many ways to throw a net there are! Weights should not be an issue. Watch some of those videos. There are some kids throwing pretty good size nets. Good luck.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

onefishtwofish wrote:You should also go on Youtube to see some different methods of throwing. I did not realize how many ways to throw a net there are! Weights should not be an issue. Watch some of those videos. There are some kids throwing pretty good size nets. Good luck.
That's the plan! Good to know there's a technique to manage the weight. I predict lots of awkward throws and hilarity while I learn. :lol: