Lighthouse Ramp Dredge

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

laxman20

Lighthouse Ramp Dredge

Post by laxman20 »

Hi all. As I'm sure you know, the lighthouse ramp at St. Marks is quite tide dependant. The ramp/lot is nice but its not practical for medium/larger boats. Anybody on here have some political weight to get the channel dredged out so its more usable?
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Lighthouse Ramp Dredge

Post by silverking »

There's a better chance of getting Trump to kiss Hillary on the lips.

The Refuge system is scrambling for money and there are many other priorities that will get attention before dredging.

The fort and Shields Marina both offer plenty of water no matter the tide and are a short run down river, especially in a bay boat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Didn't someone contact Sen Boyd about this a while back? Anyway if I remember right it was a no go because the ramp is not used commercially among other things.
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

silverking wrote:There's a better chance of getting Trump to kiss Hillary on the lips.

The Refuge system is scrambling for money and there are many other priorities that will get attention before dredging.

The fort and Shields Marina both offer plenty of water no matter the tide and are a short run down river, especially in a bay boat.
Haha I figured as much. Just hoping to find a closer ramp to hit the flats from. It's sad, the facility is so nice yet so unusable more than half the time.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

laxman20 wrote:Haha I figured as much. Just hoping to find a closer ramp to hit the flats from. It's sad, the facility is so nice yet so unusable more than half the time.
Try launching out of Aucilla or Econfina and you'll quickly grow an appreciation of the lighthouse not really being all that bad. ;-)

Joking aside, my favorite area to launch is Econ, followed by the lighthouse, and finally the fort... on days I can go / weather looks good, I either launch / return at times that will work out of Econ of the lighthouse OR if tides look too scary make the run out of the fort.

Honestly, the lighthouse area gets so packed as summer hits (scallop season comes in) that it's probably a good thing that it isn't any more big boat friendly. :smt004
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

This is a request sent to Boyd 9 years ago.
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... mp#p148459

Subsequent follow up by me boiled down to, "it's too much trouble and we(the government) don't care".
I was cited a 9-12 year process to get approvals and funding.
Boyd was up for re-election that year.
I told him my process was much shorter that I would do what I could to have a new Congressman in his slot that might be more productive to his constituents.
That year Boyd lost to Sutherland.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

This sounds like dealing with the city of Cedar Key and being told that people who fish there don't bring any money to the town. but charge 185.00 a year parking fee to use their ramp or 15.00 per time but do no improvements
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

THE FEDS JUST IMPROVED THE RAMP IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YRS , AND IT'S NOW A 2 BOAT RAMP, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CHANNEL JUST WAIT TILL THIS WINTER , YOU WILL BE IN FOR A SHOCK . AT LOW TIDE GETTING A CANOE OUT IS TOUGH.

USE THE FORT IT HAS TWO RAMPS NOW A FEW YRS AGO IT ONLY HAD ONE . AND A PAVED PARKING LOT NOW , JUST BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE .
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sorry RedZone, but, if the Feds want to be in charge and have so much control, they can do a lot better than mediocrity.
If a small project like this is beyond their ability to finance and perform there is no wonder the rest of the government has gone to hell in a hand basket.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I spoke recently with one of the St Marks Refuge staff about the ramp & other projects at the refuge. She said most everything is on hold until they know how serious the current administration is about their intention to cut federal funding for national parks/refuges/public recreation lands. She said her supervisor heard 10-30% cut, but that's just speculation until they find out later in the budget cycle.

Good time to be a kayaker.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

GaryDroze wrote:I spoke recently with one of the St Marks Refuge staff about the ramp & other projects at the refuge. She said most everything is on hold until they know how serious the current administration is about their intention to cut federal funding for national parks/refuges/public recreation lands. She said her supervisor heard 10-30% cut, but that's just speculation until they find out later in the budget cycle.

Good time to be a kayaker.
Gary, how many times have you used the light house ramp for your yak?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Good point. Only twice in last 5 years. The only two times I headed west instead of east of the lighthouse. Your question reminds me that I need to spend more time learning East River, which is the most sensible place to kayak fish heading out of that ramp.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Yeah the only thing that would make that beautiful place even better would be a 6 wide ramp and 20 acre parking lot. :smt011

Works fine for my Gheenoe all year round. Many other ramps available for bigger boats. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

rockyg wrote:Yeah the only thing that would make that beautiful place even better would be a 6 wide ramp and 20 acre parking lot. :smt011

Works fine for my Gheenoe all year round. Many other ramps available for bigger boats. :thumbup:
Sounds like the old song, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. Next we'll need a tiki hut with dancing girls serving little drinks with umbrellas and Cuban cigars.