Rod Repair Tallahassee

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MeatEater

Rod Repair Tallahassee

Post by MeatEater »

Hi all. Looking for some recommendations for rod repair in Tallahassee. Recently took my favorite rod into Kevin's and their rod repair service, Blaines, did a terrible job. Tip was cut off unevenly and a new one glued on. On the first trip the glue didn't hold and the guide was slowly rotate on the tip over the course of fishing. Fishing a long weekend I dealt with it and on the second trip the eyelet separated from the guide.

It's not like I don't know how to hack off the tip of a rod and glue a wal mart Special back on. I do. But, this is my favorite rod (expensive too) and I'd like it done right.

I'd like to find someone who takes pride in their work. Please let me know if you have any recommendations!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod Repair Tallahassee

Post by Salty Gator »

Is there a warranty on the rod? Only other option that I know of is masters of rod and gun. But you really don't need a professional to glue a tip on. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

MeatEater - hate it when that happens! What rod is it?

Kevin's usually does a decent job, unfortunate experience there for sure... Good news is that BigBendFishing forum member, and NFGFC sponsor, Dom (dombern34) with Southern Custom Rods is able to make those repairs for you. Give him a call: (229) 894-0097
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MeatEater

Rod Repair Tallahassee

Post by MeatEater »

Salty Gator wrote:Is there a warranty on the rod? Only other option that I know of is masters of rod and gun. But you really don't need a professional to glue a tip on. Good luck
This is true....hence my comment about being able to chop the tip off and replace it myself with a Wally World Special if I had to. However, my goal was to have a "pro" replace it with an exact match tip.

Long story short, yes I have a warranty on the rod. In fact it's a Trevala from when they came with the Lifetime warranty. You get one shot to return the rod with the lifetime warranty (per serial on the blank), then it goes to a year with the replacement.

My plan was to have the "simple" repair fixed now and save my warranty if it's ever needed for a legit warranty issue.

Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

I'm interested in one of the trevela rods for grouper fishing. Has anyone used one of the 40-80 rated rods for grouper ? Was the tip broken fighting a fish?? :o
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MeatEater wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Is there a warranty on the rod? Only other option that I know of is masters of rod and gun. But you really don't need a professional to glue a tip on. Good luck
This is true....hence my comment about being able to chop the tip off and replace it myself with a Wally World Special if I had to. However, my goal was to have a "pro" replace it with an exact match tip.

Long story short, yes I have a warranty on the rod. In fact it's a Trevala from when they came with the Lifetime warranty. You get one shot to return the rod with the lifetime warranty (per serial on the blank), then it goes to a year with the replacement.

My plan was to have the "simple" repair fixed now and save my warranty if it's ever needed for a legit warranty issue.

I hear you, I love the trevallas. I have 5, med light up to xx heavy( I know, I have a problem). Totally forgot about Dom. He can definitely put a good tip on for you. He does excellent work. A buddy broke his trevalla this weekend when the line for wrapped around it while it was in a rod holder and broke 1' of tip off. Good luck

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Carlabear wrote:I'm interested in one of the trevela rods for grouper fishing. Has anyone used one of the 40-80 rated rods for grouper ? Was the tip broken fighting a fish?? :o
I've caught big ol grouper on the med heavy up to xx heavy. They are all I use now for bottom fishing
fishforfun

Post by fishforfun »

Rivers Bait and Tackle did a great job revitalizing my old Finwick....850 877 6201
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I would be more than happy to fix this tip for you. once finished you'd be the only one to know it was ever broke :wink: , I would even relocate the next running guide so it didn't look out of place and so you don't lose any performance out of the rod. if you're wanting to keep the business local that is fine I understand, being in Albany doesn't help with making it a timely turn around. if you have any questions feel free to ask!
MeatEater

Rod Repair Tallahassee

Post by MeatEater »

Thanks everyone for the input. The Trevala has been an incredible rod for everything I like to fish for offshore. Had it for around 6 years and have put it through the ringer. Biggest fish I've caught on it was a 65 lb AJ. Plenty of big snapper, lots of grouper and everything in between.

I should mention that the original tip never actually "broke". The guide just cracked after years of hard work and the eyelet fell out.

When I brought it in for repair, my desire was not to have the tip chopped off. Rather, the guide removed and replaced.

Dom, would love to have you fix the rod but I don't make it up your way ever. I live in Crawfordville. You still make it down this way often?

Thanks again!

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Not a Kevin's fan at all.

Ya'll will roll your eyes at this but here's what I've done to repair every rod tip of mine that has either corroded or busted the eyelet (which is basically every rod I've ever owned besides the few that had accidents like flat out breaking). I dip the tip in JB Weld. It's perfect and none of them have worn out, and I've had atleast 1 this was for 7 or 8 years I'm pretty sure.

Another trick is a Bondo fiberglass coat on the 3 or 4 inches below the top eye on those rods that start to peel. I've only had to do that once on rods to.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BloodyChamp wrote:Not a Kevin's fan at all.

Ya'll will roll your eyes at this but here's what I've done to repair every rod tip of mine that has either corroded or busted the eyelet (which is basically every rod I've ever owned besides the few that had accidents like flat out breaking). I dip the tip in JB Weld. It's perfect and none of them have worn out, and I've had atleast 1 this was for 7 or 8 years I'm pretty sure.

Another trick is a Bondo fiberglass coat on the 3 or 4 inches below the top eye on those rods that start to peel. I've only had to do that once on rods to.

Good idea, but why not use the glue that comes with the replacement tip? I've replaced a bunch of tips and never had a problem. How do you remove the jb weld if you have to re replace the tip? Still can't believe they would cut off the tip when they could have used a lighter to get it off.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

BloodyChamp wrote:Not a Kevin's fan at all.

the biggest issue what causes the ceramic insert to break inside the tip of the rod is because a lot of people have a bad habit of reeling the weight/jighead all the way up. it'll bust/crack your ceramic ring nearly every time.

I wouldn't recommend using bondo on the last 3-4 inches of the rod because it won't allow or could possibly restrict the full/proper flex of the blank which will result in a breakage.

JB weld could possibly work but what happens when that jb welded guide breaks? a tip replacement is 10 bucks from any reputable repair shop ..... I just don't see the point lol
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

JB weld! That's funny!! Crazy thing is I have actually had to fix a rod that the owner done this too. Bad thing is it was on two of the middle guides. I got them off but it wasn't pretty. A lighter and some glue and about 10 seconds of your time and the tip is fixed.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Had them for years and never had a problem with either trick! The fiberglass is kept off of the very tip/eye. Sure the fiberglass might corrode eventually but break? It's not like we're using the same amount to build a boat hull lol! And if it corrodes that's no different than what we started with. The JB Weld has been foolproof so far. I desperately did this for the first time back when times were tough and I fished to eat.