Chum block

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dtk15c

Chum block

Post by Dtk15c »

Does anyone have a place that usually keeps chum blocks in stock around Tallahassee? Everytime I try Walmart of westmarine they never have any. I'm not sure if Jerry's before I head out. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Chum block

Post by silverking »

Shields Marina in St. Marks always has chum in stock.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Shell Island Fish Camp - better folks, better price.
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

People who work at West Marine, Jerry's and/or walmart would resent that comment...There are pretty "good folks" themselves that work at those places.. You don't think there are employees of those of those places that read this forum, fish at St Marks, buy stuff at Crumbs, Shields, Jerry's and Shell Island? Or are in the local Fishing Clubs? Or maybe read this forum? I guess not I guess you know everybody. Better folks..what a jackwad comment..
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Beeready: I was only comparing to Shields, which was the posted recommendation before mine. Between them and Shell Island, there's no comparison. I've always found truly good folks at all the other places you mentioned. Geez, Chill!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The folks that work at shields have always been very polite to me. Rather folks shop there than the big box stores.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Do eating size mullet come to these things if you leave them out long enough? I have pretty good luck with the chicken mash method river fishing in calm water but I'm still looking for a trick that would help in faster water where there seem to always be more mullet but less action if that makes any sense. They will bite if you get it right in front of them but they're always moving 100 mph so they don't always cooperate lol! And obviously the chicken mash wooshes away before it hits the ground no matter how you mix it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BloodyChamp wrote:Do eating size mullet come to these things if you leave them out long enough? I have pretty good luck with the chicken mash method river fishing in calm water but I'm still looking for a trick that would help in faster water where there seem to always be more mullet but less action if that makes any sense. They will bite if you get it right in front of them but they're always moving 100 mph so they don't always cooperate lol! And obviously the chicken mash wooshes away before it hits the ground no matter how you mix it.
Since mullet are "vegetarian " I doubt fish meat and blood ( chum block) would work for them. Catfish would probably get think tho
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

BloodyChamp wrote:Do eating size mullet come to these things if you leave them out long enough? I have pretty good luck with the chicken mash method river fishing in calm water but I'm still looking for a trick that would help in faster water where there seem to always be more mullet but less action if that makes any sense. They will bite if you get it right in front of them but they're always moving 100 mph so they don't always cooperate lol! And obviously the chicken mash wooshes away before it hits the ground no matter how you mix it.
We use cow range cubes and just fill up an orange or grapefruit bag, put a float on it so that we can retrieve it and leave it for at least a day.
Go back the next day, add more range cubes and go to fishing. We try to find a spot where there is a deep hole (6 ft. or so) right off the edge of grass.
I have read where some people use salt blocks. I've never tried that though.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

You could try mixing sand w your chicken mash like they do with chum for yellow tails in the keys. Also heard oatmeal works
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Do you mean range cubes like for cows? I've also heard the salt block suggestion and tried it today, along with a burlap bag full of mash and a brick in fast, black water, the worst old fashioned mullet fishing conditions lol! I have never seen Goose Pasture as black and full as it was today in August. I had no luck but obviously it was because of the conditions. I usually have a grip on what the rivers are like at all times but my father was sick and I hadn't been fishing all summer. Caught some bream and at least the Wacissa made it a summer without going 2 inches deep for the first time since probably 1765.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

BloodyChamp wrote:Do you mean range cubes like for cows? I've also heard the salt block suggestion and tried it today, along with a burlap bag full of mash and a brick in fast, black water, the worst old fashioned mullet fishing conditions lol! I have never seen Goose Pasture as black and full as it was today in August. I had no luck but obviously it was because of the conditions. I usually have a grip on what the rivers are like at all times but my father was sick and I hadn't been fishing all summer. Caught some bream and at least the Wacissa made it a summer without going 2 inches deep for the first time since probably 1765.
Yep, range cubes for cows. It's usually the cheapest and it stays intact longer so it doesn't wash away as quickly.
We also try to find areas where the water is relatively still and not flowing.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

20151106_155402.jpg
20151106_123331.jpg
Pictures to show you how flat the water is and also the size of the fish.
This is a place on the St. Johns River that we had the good fortune to fish for a number of years until
last year. It was taken out by the (can't remember the name) hurricane/tropical storm.
But, I have done the same thing from a boat up the Ochlockonee River.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Well I'll be danged...range cubes for cows. I've heard of the St Johns River spot. It's fished by people as far away as Atlanta from what I've heard.
Dale Mims

Post by Dale Mims »

I have had people say hog feed works well for mullet, they say just pour some in the water & fish that area while it floats. I have never tried that.