Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Keep hand sanitizer on the boat and use it!

Post by silverking »

Gary, glad to hear your wounds are healing.

I'm not fishing the tournament, so feel free to target that spot. Several nice trout in the vicinity with insatiable appetites for Skitter Walks the last time I visited. :wink:

Also suggest not paddling anywhere near a TSA check-point in a burka and avoid the antiseptic ale. Catch 'em up!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:Here lies the problem your trying to figure me out and yet your still wrong. High on the Flats is a play on words, as in; polling the flats from a platform while enjoying nature.

You putting my name in google and pulling up an old high school myspace from 12 years ago is bit strange and kind of off putting. II assume your trying to play a trump card or intimidate me through your online service provider.

I do tend to get vocal about my passions, would be no different if we were fending off tree huggers taking our fishing spots from us. I would be right there in it with ya. There is a good chance we all could be sharing the same fishing water one day here in the bend, so I will do better in keeping things copasetic.
Didn't base the username comment on observations from the ancient myspace page... nope, instead twitter feed that also was super easy to find. None of us should expect much shared online nowadays to truly be private / anonymous. Just fooling ourselves if we think so, and I'm fully including myself on that one. That said, I'm all for keeping things copasetic so I'll just leave it at that and hope if our paths cross on the water it is indeed a civil meeting and again my thanks for your service are 100% sincere. Wouldn't have even chimed in other than to wish Gary well in the first place had it not been for sensing the "Don't have to verify anything" as a bit of a poke in the eye challenge.

Gary, happy to hear you're on the mend. :thumbup: :beer:

And if comes across I'm a bit testy today, not a single second of salt therapy for me this year... only flirted with freshwater bacteria, though cobe fever is growing worse and worse by the day.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:I keep betadine solution for flushing out wounds, doesn’t sting, works very well and relatively stable. I try to remember bleach for stings ( got hit by a leatherjacket once and bleach slowed the throbbing), but that reminds me that I need a new bottle.
I always carry chewing tobacco for stings. usually in my mouth! :smt005

Hot water for catfish barbs! Anyone else done this? Worked well for me once after my nephew told me to try it. Put a water bottle on the deck until it heated up in the sun and it never really hurt that bad.
I’ve heard hot water for catfish and sting ray barbs, it’s the only thing that is supposed to work ( medically speaking).. old wives tail was to urinate on the barb wound,,,, wonder if there is a correlation???
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Wow. This went crazy.

My bonafides? BS in Microbiology, DVM. 28 years of practice, 18 of which were mixed animal and the last 10 are small animal only. I have cleaned so many dirty and infected wounds, it is beyond my ken to even guess how many. I am sure Salty has as well. If you were an Army Medic, HOTF, I am sure you have as well. Nothing in any of my posts were intended to start a war, just to let people know that H2O2 is not quite the antiseptic in wounds that we were lead to believe as kids. GREAT disinfectant and flush (physically removing bacteria) but not so great as an antiseptic on the skin or in wounds in a contaminated, debris filled environment. It would absolutely be better than almost anything on a boat if you had it to flush a wound with. It would NOT kill bacteria better than a good surgical scrub. That was my only point. There are even some Staph and Strep species that are not killed at all by peroxide, even on surgical instruments (at least not with a 3% solution), but there are also bacteria that can survive bleach (mostly spores).

Any one of these things are better than nothing and you gotta use what you got. I would just not use peroxide as a wound scrubbing agent if I had the option of having a surgical scrub. That was the "your mileage may vary' point I was making. We are all grown and can do as we please.

As far as MD's being smarter than DVM, that is hilarious. I have had to correct so many MDs with their recommendations for rabies virus it is funny. I have had to because if they read their flow chart for how to proceed, my name is on it. Does not make me smarter, just means I have studied more about that particular disease in both humans and animals by serving on the Florida Rabies Committee. Veterinarian epidemiologists are a fundamental part of human epidemiology and every bit as much experts in their fields as their human medicine counterparts, and are treated as such by their peers on both sides. Funny, but my MD clients usually treat me as a peer and are intensely interested in our practice - have even had an MD scrub in with me for orthopedic surgery because he had not done any since med school and wanted to assist. I took pharmacology (drugs) alongside 1st year medical students when I was 1st year vet student-same class. I made an A.

I thought we were having an interesting discussion from the human medicine vs veterinary medicine side of things where tradition plays as much of a role as science, but accepting what an MD says because they are an MD is silly. It was like one of my DDS clients putting penicillin procaine on a wound topically to kill bacteria. When I explained that the formula she was using had zero topical use because of it's chemical structure, she told me I was wrong. I said okay. After doing some reading, she called me back and said that I was right and she was mistaken. I am not smarter than her, I just knew what she was doing was incorrect. I would guess that a veterinarian in clinical practice has cleaned more filthy wounds by their 10th year than the average MD will see in their whole career. We just need to do it a lot more.

You seem to be mad at me because I disagreed HOTF. Sorry. I was not upset in the least and made no disparaging comment in any way to you or human medicine, sorry if that was not clear.

So, in summation.

Peroxide is a good wound cleanser/debrider, but pales in comparison topically in wound decontamination vs surgical scrub. If you have the option, choose the latter, but the former is better than bottled water, which is better than sea water. The absolute best is scrub, alcohol, repeating 3 times. And peroxide goes bad, so if that is what you chose to use, replace it often, especially in a heated environment like boat storage.

Hand sanitizer will clean wounds, just don't let it dry quickly or even worse, don't rinse it. It needs prolonged contact to kill bacteria. Same is true for isopropyl alcohol.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Wow this one went sideways unexpectedly :-?

Gary glad you are doing better, "burkha in a kayak" could be a Big Bend fashion trend! Had a local man get into the tissue eating bacteria problem a year or to ago while at Keaton Beach and just about died.

SK isn't that betadine stuff the kind that turns your skin sort of orange until it wears off?

Somebody mentioned Hibiclens, both my wife and I were given that as pre-surgical scrubs to be used as a whole body wash prior to (major) surgery so I am going to guess it is a pretty effective anti-bacterial wash and it for sure is not going to turn you orange(not a MD, DO, DVM and did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night so YMMV). Might be a good thing to add to the med kit on the boat. I'm almost to the point of being able to do surgery on the casting deck but whats one more item, not very expensive either Hibiclens
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Get better soon!

There is some nasty stuff in warm southern waters. If you get Vibrio in a cut you can be dead within a couple days. 25% of dying even with treatment.. Nasty stuff that gets several fisherman every year.
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

So I’m guessing that I shouldn’t have my Mom spit on her used tissue to cleanse the wound? :lol:
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

I have no personal vendetta towards anyone.

Hope your healing up well Gary.

Tight lines fellas.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

J Holden wrote:Get better soon!

There is some nasty stuff in warm southern waters. If you get Vibrio in a cut you can be dead within a couple days. 25% of dying even with treatment.. Nasty stuff that gets several fisherman every year.
That number gets closer to 100% if you eat a raw scallop or oyster with vibrio.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

zload wrote:Wow this one went sideways unexpectedly :-?

Gary glad you are doing better, "burkha in a kayak" could be a Big Bend fashion trend! Had a local man get into the tissue eating bacteria problem a year or to ago while at Keaton Beach and just about died.

SK isn't that betadine stuff the kind that turns your skin sort of orange until it wears off?

Somebody mentioned Hibiclens, both my wife and I were given that as pre-surgical scrubs to be used as a whole body wash prior to (major) surgery so I am going to guess it is a pretty effective anti-bacterial wash and it for sure is not going to turn you orange(not a MD, DO, DVM and did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night so YMMV). Might be a good thing to add to the med kit on the boat. I'm almost to the point of being able to do surgery on the casting deck but whats one more item, not very expensive either Hibiclens
It will turn your skin orange, and no idea but may stain the boat. I only use it to irrigate and do it over the side. Usually the blood is more of a problem making a mess than the provone iodine. Chlorhexidine is probably just as good or better, but I just trust the brown stuff
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:I have no personal vendetta towards anyone.

Hope your healing up well Gary.

Tight lines fellas.

Back at ya buddy :beer:
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Salty Gator wrote:

I eat raw scallops and oysters. Raw scallops aren’t my favorite but the clients get a kick out of me busting one open fresh out the water and eating it. May have to stop that.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I eat raw scallops and oysters. Raw scallops aren’t my favorite but the clients get a kick out of me busting one open fresh out the water and eating it. May have to stop that.
I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure there are warnings when it’s around. Maybe check around during the season.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

wow, this is first time back after long break.. thought I was on that other Florida fishing forum with the wine but no cheese

ditto bbg - "Plenty of other forums out there where anyone can get their fill of ugly debate... pretty sure Bman and the moderators on this forum are determined this one won't become one, and think lots of folks on this forum like it that way."

BMAN/mod: please kill this thread. :hammer:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If something in the water makes you sick: CALL ME

:-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/