Vacation this week

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Vacation this week

Post by onefishtwofish »

Will be at the coast - Friday though Wednesday and will take the boat. I have a place at Mashes Sands (thanks Barry) but it will be on the trailer, so anywhere is an option. No idea where to start with all the water. How does Shell Point area do after the floods? Should I be heading west? I know Aucilla and Econ will be muddy as all get out. Same for St Marks. I have a flats boat and don't go out very far. I will probably just take a day and poke around and look for salty clearish water. I know I have gone after some pretty big rains and still done well, but just curious what y'all look for in conditions like this.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Vacation this week

Post by silverking »

Ran out of Shell Point last Thursday before the rains/wind and clarity was OK, not great. It usually silts up bad with the type of wind and rain we've gotten the last few days.

Would definitely be worth poking around, but if I were in your spot, I'd run out to Ochlocknee Shoal and give it a try. Always seems to clear up (or stay clearer) out there.

Good luck.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Not trying to hijack but I was about to start a similar thread so I thought I'd just piggy-back. I'll be fishing out of Econfina. I'm taking a friend and his 12 year old son. Neither have ever been saltwater fishing. I usually fish my normal spots according to conditions. Usually shallow. I'm not crazy about bouncing a jig off bottom at 8-9 ft. for a trout. But I'm thinking due to the amount of fresh water infiltrating the area, that might be the best way to "try" and put them on some fish. What do you all think?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My plan, Trout, at least one day is to head out of the river (Probably Aucilla) and head either east or west (usually head West) and see what salinity and clarity I find.

Thanks SK, I never even think about the Shoals, but it will need to be a nice day for me to head out there, so I will watch the waves and weather. Good thought.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?