fishing carrabelle

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hairface

fishing carrabelle

Post by hairface »

been trying to come down and fish for trout for six weeks every wknd bad weather or something else happens looks like bad weather again this weekend 3 to 5 and choppy
can anybody tell me if trout still in the grass or moved to deeper water and got lockjaw or would it be best for me to wait to spring and start another year would like to come down but 7 hr drive no fish no fun info appreciated
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: fishing carrabelle

Post by DixieReb »

I doubt the trout are still on the flats, it's supposed to be near freezing here tonight. I'm planning a trip to Aucilla Thursday, I'll post if anything is biting in the river there.
Yours in the South
hairface

Post by hairface »

thanks thursday looks good weather wise hope you limit out
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Trout will be up the Carrabelle, Apalachicola and Ochlockonee Rivers. They won't be on the flats after tonight.

If you've got a 7-hour drive, save your time and money and wait until spring if trout are the target unless you want to fish the rivers. Reds will move back up on flats in the winter after a warming trend, but it's a hit-or-miss proposition.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Silverking is telling you the truth. Weather is not good for the weekend. I would not drive 7 hours with the current forecast.
Willie

Post by Willie »

Silverking - If you don't mind me asking...how far up the Carrabelle river do you need to go at this time of the year? I'm coming down between Christmas and New Years and would like to fish some out of my kayak.

Is the area around Postun Bayou near the Boat Club far enough up river or do you need to go farther north?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Willie, they can be scattered up and down the river. The mud flats exposed at low tide will heat up and be several degrees warmer on the flood tides. Plenty of holes from the bayou towards the mouth that could hold fish, too. The bayou could also be holding fish.

I've also done well way up the Carrabelle and Crooked River in the winter months. Some of the bends have good drop-offs and when the bite is on, it can be a fish every cast. Usually some rat reds mixed in. I never fished that way up in the kayak. Check out Google Maps. I believe there are some access points north if you don't mind a short drive.

The Ochlockonee River State Park is another great winter spot. Plenty of places to fish from the park ramp or you can launch at the ramp near the condos on upper Surf Road and fish across.

One more option is the county ramp at the park off Hwy 65 before Eastpoint (Head north and turn right before the bridge). Off the beaten path and a maze of tidal creeks to fish and explore.

Good luck and post up your results.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hairface

Post by hairface »

thanks for the info think I stay home and hunt
curiosity ? how far up Carrabelle river before freshwater and will trout go into fresh water
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

Curious if trout & reds will follow the same pattern that you explained in the St Mark's and East Rivers?
Thanks!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, but salinity is a factor. Trout don't like a lot of fresh, so the recent rains may stack them up closer to the mouth/East River than further upstream.
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

Makes sense! thanks.