Jig Head Colors

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Jig Head Colors

Post by Srbenda »

Are there any particular colors that seem to work better? I have white, bright green and red, but really see no variance in fish caught.
Curious if anyone has detected patterns--

Or am I just supposed to match my jighead to my gulp/ paddle tail/ jerkbait?
All photos copyright @saverymill
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Jig Head Colors

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Color never seemed to make a difference to me, I always liked red to give the illusion of blood, the trout eye type jig heads seem to me to catch better fish than the ones with painted eyes.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Speaking of jig heads, i always liked the Cotee live eye brand, but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyone know if they still sell them?
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

If it ain’t chartreuse, it ain’t no use! :-D
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

When using a jig head, I catch all my fish on red. The reason I catch all my fish on red jig heads is, I only use red. :lol:
I am not sure if the jig color makes a difference. I more think it is a confidence thing. If you have confidence in a lure it is usually more productive.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Thanks Doom, but they don't show having any 1/4 ounce available. Wondering if they quit making them, and are just selling off the remaining stock. Didn't see just red as an option either.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

fishinfool wrote: I more think it is a confidence thing. If you have confidence in a lure it is usually more productive.
100%.

Also, I'd worry not so much about color and more-so on action. Do this on the next slack tide you have with decent visibility: Take a few of the different brand jigheads you have on your box and slide on your favorite soft-plastic. Now short-cast them out and work them back as you normally would, watching the action of each version. DOAs, Slayers, Trout-Eye, VMC, etc... they all have slightly different action. I still believe color does play a small part, however.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I will add that some finger mullet lures( and finger mullet)have a red head/nose. So a red Jig head w a white plastic looks like a finger mullet
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Had always used red jig heads believing, like other posters, that it signaled blood or injury.

While fishing with Mark Nichols of DOA Lures one time, we started discussing jig head color. The next day, I fished solely with red and Mark fished with chartreuse. He caught two fish for my every one.

Still use red, but I'll also use chartreuse to mix and match. The most important elements are contrast so the fish can see the lures, action and confidence. By the way, there's a reason every lure brand has a red head and white body in the lineup. It works!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Have used different color jig heads but the vast majority of my fish have come on unpainted heads. I always have everyone in the boat fishing something different when we start to see what the fish want. Like others have said, the weight and shape of the jig head will have a significant impact on the action of the bait which probably makes a bigger difference than the color.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

fishfalcon wrote:Have used different color jig heads but the vast majority of my fish have come on unpainted heads. .
Same here. I go naked and as light as possible.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Juan wrote:Same here. I go naked and as light as possible.
What do other boaters and more importantly, FWC law enforcement say about that? :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Sorry for the poor picture quality... I like red, but other colors seem to work just as well. I will say that Bass Assassin saltwater jigheads (top of pic) seem to hold baits up on the neck of the jighead better than others because of the sharply pronounced collars at the base. These are 1/4 oz with 3/0 hook. The hooks on them are good quality (strong and VERY sharp) also. You will pay a little more for them than other brands.
ImageUntitled by Matt Price, on Flickr

On a side note, don't let Gulps dry on them or it will require a knife and pliers to remove. :lol:
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

it's a confidence thing for sure, I don't think there is any real live bait swimming around with a chartreuse head. bright colors for murky water and natural color when it's clear. most bites are a reaction bite anyways and I don't think their worried about color nor do they get a good look at it. presentation is always going to be key factor.