Fishing Line

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

guthooked
Site Sponsor

Fishing Line

Post by guthooked »

Just looking for some input on fishing lines. I almost exclusively use braid when trout fishing on the flats. The reason for this is that the stretch with mono makes me have to make a big swinging hookset rather than a short forearm hookset with braid. I want to use mono but haven't found one that doesn't stretch out a few additional feet on a hookset.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Fishing Line

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I use Jbraid or ohero braid for most of my flats fishing, Im going to give trikfish fluorocarbon a try since I have been fishing plugs on seaguar. I like sunline armilo for topwaters but I will fish braid with a fluoro leader for some topwaters.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

PowerPro 15# braid is all I use on the flats. I connect to a 35# swivel, and then typically run a 3' flourocarbon 20# leader to whatever I'm fishing.
All photos copyright @saverymill
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Since you are asking about monofilament, I will say that I have been using Sufix Siege on my baitcaster for topwater. The fraction of a second the stretch gives me helps me from setting the hook too fast.
If you are looking for a low stretch mono, you might try the new Sufix Advance Monofilament.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Srbenda wrote:PowerPro 15# braid is all I use on the flats. I connect to a 35# swivel, and then typically run a 3' flourocarbon 20# leader to whatever I'm fishing.
Why are you using a swivel and not doing a uni2uni knot or similar connection?

10# braid for everything except two heavier rods which are loaded with 15# or 20#. I've been a big fan of the new PowerPro SuperSlick8 V2 that came out recently. But have used 832 Suffix and Jbraid with success. I've tried KastKing and that stuff just plain sucks. PERIOD.

20-25lb fluoro leader. Heavier offshore outfits of course have heavier braid and fluoro combos

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

like mentioned above, braid to a fluoro leader is going to be your best bet. Top water, I'll use braid to a mono leader. braid and mono floats, fluoro sinks. if you're going to use a baitcaster with braid, I recommend using a higher pound test to keep the line from digging in the spool since most bait casting reels have a sticky drag. 40# or higher is what I would suggest. 10-20# on your spinning.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:PowerPro 15# braid is all I use on the flats. I connect to a 35# swivel, and then typically run a 3' flourocarbon 20# leader to whatever I'm fishing.
Definitely learn a double uni or other (fg)braid to leader knot as Chris said.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
STMU

Post by STMU »

fishinfool wrote:Since you are asking about monofilament, I will say that I have been using Sufix Siege on my baitcaster for topwater. The fraction of a second the stretch gives me helps me from setting the hook too fast.
If you are looking for a low stretch mono, you might try the new Sufix Advance Monofilament.
While I don't always use mono...when I do I use Sufix Siege. [Insert Dos Equis guy here]

If you are wanting something without much stretch have you looked at using flouro? Not just for the leader, but spooling the whole reel. I have a couple of bream rods with 4lb and 6lb Berkley Vanish Flouro and their Transition Flouro line. No idea how well it works in the larger lb test, but may suite your needs.

All my saltwater inshore reels have braid, Sufix 832. 10lb test for all my small reels, and a couple 4000s at 15lb. FG knot to 20lb leader. Always felt anything over was just overkill and limited either my casting ability or the lure action. Plus, not enough toothy fish to worry about break-offs in my home waters (except big rocks and Spanish Mackerel, but they will break 30lb just as easy as 20 or 15, and 40lb is just too big).
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You don't want to put full flouro on a reel that you plan to fish top water plugs with. The flouro sinks and will pull down plugs like Zara Spooks and Chugbugs. :thumbup:
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

I use the albright knot for braid to fluro leader
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

For all the braid users out there, how long do you keep your braid on your spool? Do you ever experience what I would consider a dry rot where your braid pops behind your leader? I felt like i had several break offs yesterday that didn't feel like cut offs from toothy critters. I've also heard of using the other end of your spool if you have another reel to move your line to. Thoughts??
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

milto wrote:For all the braid users out there, how long do you keep your braid on your spool? Do you ever experience what I would consider a dry rot where your braid pops behind your leader? I felt like i had several break offs yesterday that didn't feel like cut offs from toothy critters. I've also heard of using the other end of your spool if you have another reel to move your line to. Thoughts??
depending on how much backing you use you can sometimes transfer that braid to another reel and the "unused" braid will now be on top. braid doesn't normally kink or break down to create any weak points at least not with my experience. but to answer your question, I normally just have Kevin's respool my reels once a year.

what Braid are you using?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't had any of my PowerPro Super 8 Slick pop off, but I'm changing it a couple times a year. I do have a spool of Suffix 832 camo; haven't tried it yet, though.

I fish 10-pound on all my inshore outfits, spin and bait casters, with 20-pound fluoro Seaguar blue label leader connected with double uni knots. The FG knot just takes too long to tie and I haven't had an issue with guides/knots with the smaller diameter braid/leader with the double unis.

I spool the entire reel with braid and pack it on hard by cranking it with pressure through a wet rag onto the spool. No problems with line burying into the wraps on my Shimano reels. I also don't notice a discernible difference with the flotation of top-water plugs using short (less than 30 inches) fluoro leader and I've done side by side comparisons with mono.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

milto wrote:For all the braid users out there, how long do you keep your braid on your spool? Do you ever experience what I would consider a dry rot where your braid pops behind your leader? I felt like i had several break offs yesterday that didn't feel like cut offs from toothy critters. I've also heard of using the other end of your spool if you have another reel to move your line to. Thoughts??
I usually change once a year, I will cut a couple feet off when I retie if its sunbleached. Jbraid is cheap enough to me that its worth not trying to spool it on another reel, especially when its on sale for $65 for 1500m.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

FishWithChris wrote:
Why are you using a swivel and not doing a uni2uni knot or similar connection?

10# braid for everything except two heavier rods which are loaded with 15# or 20#. I've been a big fan of the new PowerPro SuperSlick8 V2 that came out recently. But have used 832 Suffix and Jbraid with success. I've tried KastKing and that stuff just plain sucks. PERIOD.

20-25lb fluoro leader. Heavier offshore outfits of course have heavier braid and fluoro combos

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I use unit knots on mono to flouro, but have always felt uneasy about braid to flouro. Do the knots hold well? If so, I'll absolutely do it.
It will prevent me from having an aneurysm everytime a guest on my boat trys to reel past the swivel.
All photos copyright @saverymill