St Marks or St Teresa Wade fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rockyg

Re: St Marks or St Teresa Wade fishing

Post by rockyg »

You might be fit enough to "keep up" with Gary......but I'll bet your sence of self-preservation kicks in when its time to literally kick the gators and the snakes out of the way. It's like an episode of "fear factor". (so I'm told) lol

Get him to tell you about the time the big bull gator had him hemmed up on one side of the creek and his only escape came when he caught a ladyfish and fed it to the gator to distract him. :o
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Those unhunted gators are the biggest I’ve seen in person
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

rockyg wrote:You might be fit enough to "keep up" with Gary......but I'll bet your sence of self-preservation kicks in when its time to literally kick the gators and the snakes out of the way. It's like an episode of "fear factor". (so I'm told) lol

Get him to tell you about the time the big bull gator had him hemmed up on one side of the creek and his only escape came when he caught a ladyfish and fed it to the gator to distract him. :o

Ok, I'm reconsidering.
All photos copyright @saverymill
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

So as not to draw criticism for feeding gators - which I certainly oppose - please let me clarify:

The alligator had me pinned on one bank. I needed to cross a wide tidal creek to get back home, and the territorial bull paralleled me from the water, regardless of whether I went north or south on the creek bank. I caught and killed a ladyfish, waved it at Big Lizzy to get his attention, then threw it as far as I could downstream. As soon as the gator took off after the floating ladyfish, I jumped in the creek & swam/waded to the other side, leaving my rod & backpack on the bank. Although the gator came after me, the ladyfish distraction gave me enough of a head start to get to the other side with a good 15 yard advantage over Lizzy. I later kayaked back to retrieve my tackle.

For perspective, note that I've only had a handful of encounters this intense in over two decades of wading tidal creeks. And they all occurred in the summer, when the typically standoffish big males get ornery and act like they own the place...which they do.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

I'd consider keeping a piece on you just for those kinda situations! I'm all for giving them some slack but sometimes you gotta reinforce the natural order of things and protect your own hide at the same time.

I've had a few close calls with them now and don't plan on messing around with them anymore.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

J Holden wrote:I'd consider keeping a piece on you just for those kinda situations! I'm all for giving them some slack but sometimes you gotta reinforce the natural order of things and protect your own hide at the same time.

I've had a few close calls with them now and don't plan on messing around with them anymore.
Unless you're willing to tote a .44 mag I suspect anything less will just piss off a gator. I'm not swimming/wading around with a $1,000+ gun and anything but a headshot probably wont do the square root of jack to save you(even with a .44). Carrying around a rifle/shotgun while fishing sounds like a pain.

We have houses, cars and boats because of our intellect..
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

[quote
Unless you're willing to tote a .44 mag I suspect anything less will just piss off a gator. I'm not swimming/wading around with a $1,000+ gun and anything but a headshot probably wont do the square root of jack to save you(even with a .44). Carrying around a rifle/shotgun while fishing sounds like a pain.][/quote]

I've killed several with a single shot from a 22. It's all about the placement!
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

tailwaters wrote:[quote
Unless you're willing to tote a .44 mag I suspect anything less will just piss off a gator. I'm not swimming/wading around with a $1,000+ gun and anything but a headshot probably wont do the square root of jack to save you(even with a .44). Carrying around a rifle/shotgun while fishing sounds like a pain.]
I've killed several with a single shot from a 22. It's all about placement!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

tailwaters wrote: I've killed several with a single shot from a 22. It's all about the placement!
While being chased and wading through a swamp? I know where to shoot them but I know I wouldn't make that shot under pressure on a moving target.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Isn’t there a law against firearms in the refuge?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

My style of fishing does not easily lend itself to carrying much equipment. I have found a safe way out of every encounter so far, and jettisoned the more risky behaviors (like wadefishing after sunset or splashing through water where I can't see the bottom) since I got married. No disrespect to those who carry, but if I felt like I had to tote a gun on tidal creek hikes, I wouldn't go. Actually, that's why I rarely hike the Econfina River State Park Trail to Bowden Creek or the Florida Trail to Pinhook River anymore. Those remote trails are fascinating, and lead to some spectacular fishing, but both areas are getting overrun with big, nasty feral hogs. I wouldn't go now without firepower, which basically means I don't go.

Despite the stories, Crocodile Dundee I am not.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:My style of fishing does not easily lend itself to carrying much equipment. I have found a safe way out of every encounter so far, and jettisoned the more risky behaviors (like wadefishing after sunset or splashing through water where I can't see the bottom) since I got married. No disrespect to those who carry, but if I felt like I had to tote a gun on tidal creek hikes, I wouldn't go. Actually, that's why I rarely hike the Econfina River State Park Trail to Bowden Creek or the Florida Trail to Pinhook River anymore. Those remote trails are fascinating, and lead to some spectacular fishing, but both areas are getting overrun with big, nasty feral hogs. I wouldn't go now without firepower, which basically means I don't go.

Despite the stories, Crocodile Dundee I am not.
I have something you can borrow if you ever want to turn your trip into a cast and blast :lol:
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Salty Gator wrote:Isn’t there a law against firearms in the refuge?
Not anymore.