donating rods/reels

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

donating rods/reels

Post by tailwaters »

I have some reels I don't use any more and was wondering if there is a local kids fishing organization around that I can donate them too?
Bjpfla

Re: donating rods/reels

Post by Bjpfla »

I know Bass Pro has a yearly spring event where they take old rods and reels, restore and donate them to kids, and give you a coupon towards the purchase of a new rod/reel. Otherwise maybe contact FWC, they may have a program.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: donating rods/reels

Post by silverking »

BJP had two excellent suggestions, Chris. There are organized high school fishing teams around the country and FWC will have some contacts.

I always accumulate a lot of lures and gear during throughout the year from media events and boat tests. What I can't use or won't test for a review gets compiled. Around the 1st of December, I separate it into equal piles and then go buy tackle boxes to match. I load each box up, add a ball cap and take it all to the USMC Toys for Tots drop-off. The kids get tons of teddy bears and other regular toys, but I've never seen fishing tackle. Hopefully if they don't have their own, the tackle box recipients are able to connect with rod/reel donors and use all to hit the water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat