Apalachicola River

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Captainawesomepants

Apalachicola River

Post by Captainawesomepants »

Anybody have any boatimg and/or fishing tips for Apalachicola River? We are gonna run the river from the dam to the coast in early december. We have smaller skiffs. None of us have been on the river before. Are there hazards, shallow areas, marked channel, etc? We may loop up into the dead lakes as well if there is time.

Also, how is the fishing? What should we target? We were thinking it would be a good opportunity to fish for catfish and maybe striper bass. Any tips?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sun Daze

Re: Apalachicola River

Post by Sun Daze »

It is shallow in several spots. The riverkeeper can give you some good info on when is a good time to make the trip. It has to do with how much flow is coming out of Jim Woodruff dam. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere close to 12K CFS to allow for the river to be deep enough to avoid any issues. It's currently at 9460... I would just keep an eye on the flow rate and plan accordingly.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I made the run from Lake Seminole to the bay about 8 or 9 years ago. Took my time and fished my way down camping on a beach about halfway down overnight. Fantastic trip.
The river does have hazards to include logs/stumps/shallow areas. Fishing was pretty good for me but I primarily focused on cats. I made the trip into dead lakes. That is one beautiful place and shouldn't be missed.
Be prepared though, there is no cell phone reception for a lot of the trip. Certainly no gas or marinas.
Do it and have fun.

I thought they closed the lock on seminole but not sure.
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

Thank you for the information! Talking to the river keeper is a great idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Not sure about how fishing is. Just kayaked the entire River from the dam to Apalachicola over five days in October. Incredible trip and a beautiful river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk