New Trout Rules Approved

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

New Trout Rules Approved

Post by silverking »

For immediate release: Dec. 12, 2019

Suggested Tweet: Spotted #seatrout rule changes approved by @MyFWC: https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/271263f #Florida #Fishing #FWC2019

FWC approves changes to spotted seatrout rules

At its meeting in Panama City Beach, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved several rule changes for spotted seatrout. Spotted seatrout are one of Florida’s most popular inshore fisheries. Based on the results of a recent stock assessment and after hearing concerns from anglers, FWC worked with stakeholders to create a suite of regulatory changes that would benefit the spotted seatrout as well as continue to provide quality fishing opportunities.

The following rules will go into effect Feb. 1, 2020:

Creating two new zones by splitting the Northwest spotted seatrout management zone into the: (See maps below.)
Western Panhandle (Escambia County through the portions of Gulf County west of longitude 85 degrees, 13.76 minutes but NOT including Indian Pass/Indian Lagoon).
Big Bend (remaining portion of Gulf County plus Indian Lagoon, and Franklin County through Fred Howard Park Causeway in Pinellas County).
Creating the renamed South Florida zone (Fred Howard Park Causeway in Pinellas County near the Pasco County line through Broward County) and Central East zone (Palm Beach through Volusia counties) by moving the boundary between the southern management zones. (See maps below.)
Reducing bag limits
Western Panhandle: five to three fish.
Big Bend: no change (remains five fish).
South Florida: four to three fish.
Central East: four to two fish.
Northeast: six to five fish.
Modifying the recreational slot size limit from 15-to-20 inches to 15-to-19 inches total length.
Allowing one seatrout over 19 inches per vessel (currently per harvester).
Prohibiting captain and crew from keeping a bag limit on a for-hire trip.

Re-establishing the February recreational closure in the Western Panhandle zone and the November-December recreational closure in the Central East zone.
Reducing the current daily commercial limits to 50 per harvester and 100 per vessel.
Removing an unnecessary commercial reporting form.

Learn more about spotted seatrout by visiting MyFWC.com/Marine and clicking on “Recreational Regulations” and “Spotted Seatrout.”

-30-
seatrout2019commmap-800x780_original.jpg
seatroutmapcloseup2019-800x566_original.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: New Trout Rules Approved

Post by DixieReb »

How about that. I knew they were getting ready to approve something. 15-19'' slot sounds reasonable.
Yours in the South
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

After seeing some recent Instagram story videos by a prominent fishing show personality and his sidekick slinging 25 and 26" fish in their box like it was nothing (6 people on the boat), I'm glad these are going into effect. Even without, I think these changes are incredibly fair. It allows the guides' to stay more active in the winter with customers who want to keep fish, while also limiting the impact of volume-take and hit on big breeder sows.

I'm good with this.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Most of my fishing is in the Western Panhandle so even though I seldom keep a bag limit, I don't agree with reducing the limit from 5 to 3 fish since there's no shortage of trout in the Western Panhandle. Guess I'll have to fish Apalach and east when the freezer's empty. :wink:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

What a F'n JOKE...Does nothing for the amount taken out of the water or Big fish or absolute raping of trout during the winter months :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :thumbdown:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I would have liked to have seen stronger provisions like re-adopting the winter closure for our area. Friends of mine on the East Coast were lobbying for an outright harvest ban for a couple years due to the scarcity of fish because of habitat loss in the IRL. Juan didn't feel a reduction was necessary in the Panhandle yet other stakeholders and staff obviously did. Rulemaking is a give-and-take process though and I'm hoping these new rules will help improve the quantity and quality of sea trout.

Just curious, TroutTrent. Did you attend any of the hearings or submit written comments about your preferences? Apparently there was a small but vocal contingent of Steinhatchee guides who did. And as the saying goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." May not be right, but it's the reality of the system.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

I didn't attend but did send end my thoughts and suggestions and wasn't the first time i have done it,,,O'well. Sure wish they would have at least closed February,,,O'well :smt012
I must say though I like the Idea of 1 over 20 per vessel and not a person :thumbup:
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

BTW I am referring to the Big Bend zone only.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Roger. Thanks TT and to all the others who submitted comments or attended the hearings/workshops. Haven't met all the new commissioners, but I do know the key staff personnel do read and compile them.

I like the 1 trophy fish per boat vs. angler, too. More breeders going back in the water. :thumbup:
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

The minority controlling the majority! I bet 90% of the recreational fishermen in the western panhandle aren't happy with these changes. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I wish they would of brought the winter closure back and possibly nothing over 20 during nov-jan.i emailed,called and went to a meeting to voice my 2 cents.
Jsisson

Post by Jsisson »

1 over 19 in Per boat is a joke. If they really wanted to protect sow trout
They would have closed keeping them in the winter.
Going to really put a hurting on some business and
Guides. I have fished the big bend for over 30 years
Fishing is the best it’s ever been and this set of rules been
In effect for what. 20 plus years. Way to go and try to
Fix something that is not broken
Thinking about giving Mobile Bay a shot
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I attended the meeting in Gadsden County and advocated for keeping the 5 fish limit in place for our area (Big Bend). However, I also expressed support of closing the winter season which didn't get adopted. Personally, I see the changes implemented as a positive first step towards addressing the concerns presented by FWCC staff and trout fishermen alike. Developing regulations should incorporate calculated steps, rather than overwhelming initial changes the first go round IMHO. We'll just have to wait and see if the new changes are deemed successful by all parties involved.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Jsisson rules haven't been the same .we used to have a Feb closure until i believe in 2012 where they opened it year round.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I'm all for the Feb. closure, sorry that it didn't pass for our region. Those big mama trout need to get ready for spawning then.
Yours in the South