St Andrews State Park this weekend, need advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Will be doing a last minute camping trip this weekend at St Andrews State Park in Panama City, never been before. We're going to have wives and children in tow so I likely won't be able to get away for more than a couple of quick hours.

Wondering if it's worth hauling the Hobie with me, or if I should just bet on fishing from shore somewhere. No idea what to expect over there, especially this time of year. Fish the surf? Inlet? Bay side? Thanks for any help!
bbb

Post by bbb »

I would take the kayak. Grass flats are on the North side of the park. We went there a few years ago and they were catching trout in the deeper holes of the bay. Shore bound anglers did not do as well as the kayakers.

Sailboats are anchored in the deep hole. Grass flats on either side. Looks like some may be sunk since Hurricane Michael.

WetBandit

Re: St Andrews State Park this weekend, need advice

Post by WetBandit »

I’ve tried fishing the jetty a few times in the warm months without success. I’ve seen some fish come up on the rocks but they only seem to hit live shrimp. Live shrimp on the rocks for sheepshead might be worth a try.

Check out baycountyoutdoors.com, they have some pretty good fishing reports you could use to guide your approach.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Haven't fished there in several years but I have caught some big redfish off the jetties this time of year. Should be sheepshead now also. When the water starts to warm up a bit I have caught Spanish, mangrove snapper, sheepshead, redfish, and the occasional jack. If you decide to fish the jetties you will lose a bit of tackle so use the lightest weight you can to get bait down near the bottom but not on it, too many rocks. I always use a Carolina rig. For the reds I used cigar minnows outgoing tide was best for me but as I said it has been a few years and things change. Live shrimp for everything else as already posted. There is a short pier on the beach side and a small dock on the bay side by the boat ramp you can fish from. During warmer weather the dock is the place to take kids as the pinfish are plentiful there. Also if you follow the shoreline from the boat ramp walking away from the camping area to that far point the water is deeper near shore. Sometimes a productive place. I can't give any advice about a kayak. Good luck.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Forgot to mention I have not been there since the hurricane so everything may be different. Try half hitch for bait and tackle. They usually post a fishing report on their website.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

You can get pinfish on the grass and use them for Redfish on the flats and on the Jetty. Probably better on the jetty right now.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'd do as bbb suggested and take the yak but if you don't there's still good fishing from the shore. Deep Water Point is within walking distance and just east of the boat ramp and there's 16' deep water just a few feet from shore but there's also a lot of boat traffic running through there and close to shore so be careful. There's a tower probably 50 ft from the shore between Deep Water Point and the boat ramp that's usually good for flounder and an occasional trout.. (and lots of lizardfish) There's also the Kiddie Pool which is a good flounder hole. If you can cross the pass, the pool and jetties on the east side is far better than the jetties on the beach side. It holds sheepshead, redfish and flounder. Actually one of my favorite flounder holes. There's pinfish and lizard fish all over and it's too rough for a yak but you can catch small grouper on the point on the east side jetties.. Too cold for the cobia but it's also a good spot for them when the water warms up.
If you take the yak, I'd fish the flats and boat docks on the north side of St. Andrews, without it, I'd fish the shoreline on the northside.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Thanks for all the great details guys. Think I've decided to bring a couple of the Hobies and hope the wives let us play for a while.

Juan when you mentioned Deep Water Point, I don't see that on the map but I do see Sandy Point at the cut east of the boat ramp... same place? Or are you talking about the first little point just east of the launch? Also when you say you'd fish the northside docks and flats, do you mean the north side of the lagoon? Or just the northside of the park (i.e. not the beach).

Thanks!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

StMarksAngler wrote:Thanks for all the great details guys. Think I've decided to bring a couple of the Hobies and hope the wives let us play for a while.

Juan when you mentioned Deep Water Point, I don't see that on the map but I do see Sandy Point at the cut east of the boat ramp... same place? Or are you talking about the first little point just east of the launch? Also when you say you'd fish the northside docks and flats, do you mean the north side of the lagoon? Or just the northside of the park (i.e. not the beach).

Thanks!
We've always called it Deep Water Point but it is sandy so Sandy Point may be the correct name. It is east of the boat ramp and it's the entrance to Grand Lagoon. By northside I meant the shoreline and boat docks on the north side of the park, not the other side of the lagoon but if you can get to the other side, the channel into Bay Point Marina has grass flats on both sides and the boat docks are a good spot too. The docks and boats around Treasure Island Marina are good for flounder and mangrove snapper at times.
Good luck. Hope the weather cooperates for ya.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Friday night was too windy (25kts+) and too damn cold to do anything. Fished most of the day Saturday. Tried from the jetties at the park for a while while no luck, then kayaked the lagoon for a few hours. Fished the deeper holes near the state park, the #3 tower that Juan mentioned and a bunch of dock pilings across the water on the north shoreline. Caught one lizard fish, lost one flounder, found a few pinfish... and that was it. I think four total bites all day.

Rough, rough fishing. Talked to at least 9 or 10 other people over the weekend, they all said the exact same thing, not a single bite between them. Even a couple that had been out fishing a big bait pod with diving birds in their kayaks on the beach side... zero bites.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Sorry bout that. I didn't want to say it but I didn't think the bite would be on. The weather has been too bad. Way too much rain lately and far too windy and cold. Still yaking around the lagoon had to be more fun than sitting at home. :-)
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Best time to go fishing is when you can go! Thanks for all the advice regardless, the lizardfish and flounder at least were right where you said they'd be, under that tower!