SW Fl trout, redfish, snook catch and release order extended

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spoton
Site Sponsor

SW Fl trout, redfish, snook catch and release order extended

Post by spoton »

For the zone that extends from just north of Tampa to Naples, the FWC has extended a catch and release order for these inshore species until May 2021 due to lingering effects of red tide. While the fishery certainly needs time to recover and the FWC probably made the right call, this is bound to have a major impact on the guides and business down there that depend on inshore fishing. Is our area next?

We need to keep the focus on environmental issues that may be contributing to the red tide problem.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: SW Fl trout, redfish, snook catch and release order exte

Post by onefishtwofish »

Why? Do most folks hire guides to put more meat in the freezer? Or do you mean lower stock numbers will lead to fewer fish and making it harder for guides to book trips? Just curious.

Not addressing you specifically, just the whole "I can't keep my limit so why fish?" mentality. If I have time off and the weather is good in February, I would still fish with a closure for trout. Would just turn them lose like I do 95% of the time anyway. I am just curious about folks feelings on this.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: SW Fl trout, redfish, snook catch and release order exte

Post by onefishtwofish »

https://www.heraldtribune.com/photogall ... 09987/PH/1

Interesting. I wonder if the alterations in waterflow in south and central florida is a contributor? I recall episodes of it as a kid in the 60's north of Tampa area. There have certainly been severe cases long before the hydrology of Florida changed.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?