Has anybody here ever heard of Twin Sinks?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Has anybody here ever heard of Twin Sinks?

Post by BloodyChamp »

???

It’s these 2 little sinkholes that look exactly the same, and they’re full of the yummiest and feistiest lil Warmouth Perch you ever ate! And the occasional Stumpknocker and Catfish. They’re way off of the sinks trail there between the Wacissa and Aucilla River, the sinks trail of course being all of those sinkholes that are pretty close together. It’s 1 of the few places I haven’t gotten to revisit as an adult. It was another 1 of my father’s favorite places but I haven’t been able to find it since. Granted I haven’t tried since before smart phones were a thing. Between any information here and Google Maps maybe I’ll find it Sunday which is the plan. This idea to find it isn’t as random as it sounds but more on that later I guess.
Srbenda

Re: Has anybody here ever heard of Twin Sinks?

Post by Srbenda »

Drove by the sinks last week.
Water looked clear, w vegetation.
Did not see fish, but I didnt cast either

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I love hearing stories like this and digging deeper to learn more about our area. I took a peak on the Florida Trail and local sites alike and came across this PDF from the TallTimbers org: http://www.talltimbers.org/images/ttlc/AucillaRiver.pdf

See pics attached. Fun read! ImageImage

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

The place I’m talking about is off of the beaten path of the trail, and not near the other sinkholes. You *could* turn where most people turn to go hiking, then go all the way down the main trail and on down to where I’m talking about but the way I remember going was hanging a left way past that, closer to Goose Pasture of off Goose Pasture Road. Then you would go way out in the woods as in woods not a hiking trail, patrol burn etc.

I guess Twin Sinks could pass as a name for a bunch of places, including the place highlighted on that map, as there are many natural bridge sections along the trail. Srbrenda is that where you drove by or was it my way where I’m talking about?

I also guess it could have another name but that’s what my father always called it.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I am totally on this. Stay tuned.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m pretty familiar with whole place except for this 1 spot. There are actually signs at a few of the sinkholes with names. This 1 spot (1 spot at 2 sinkholes remember) is so close to Goose Pasture that I always wondered if the sinkholes connected to the Wacissa and not the Aucilla. But like I said it’s been years. I still plan on going tomorrow. I guess we’ll see!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

I think you're describing the same pair of sinks, just approached from the north instead of the east side like most folks come in from.

I have a Google Earth map somewhere of a few hundred springs I've cataloged in the panhandle with my notes from freediving each of them. I'll see if I can dig it up.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

It’s 1 of the few places I’ve never seen anybody else ever...ever. Granted I haven’t been in years.

I come in from the North and enter the sinks trail going East. That blurb above explains entering it from the East/North East I think (not in front of me as I edit this post). That doesn’t matter to my knowledge though as there’s only 1 way to the place I’m talking about whether you come in to the main woods 1 way or another. At 1 point you have to get on the 1 road to it and only that road to get there unlike many other places down there.

EDIT: I pray to God nobody saw that autocorrect blunder lol!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Huh. I have no idea then. Will be following here to see if you're able to find it tomorrow! Good luck!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went today and now that the cobwebs are busted loose I can explain a little better. The main trail down through the sinkholes is actually called “Sinks Road.” Miraculously, there’s even a sign on the East/Southeast end towards Goose Pasture where the road ends, where the wooden cattle gap was for a long time. Take a left there at Sinks Road’s end or if you can in the way I do off of Goose Pasture Road just drive by it and the Twin Sinks I knew is somewhere down there.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to investigate much further today as I had to turn around at the death trap in the road. I could have made it because it wasn’t that muddy but the boulders could have done worse than mud. I think I could have made it over them actually but the person before me’s collateral damage was enough to make me turn around. Somebody’s entire plastic bumper guard tore off on 1 of the boulders!

Google Maps didn’t work. I might try to walk it 1 day either way.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

4-14-22 I think I found it today but we better not call it just yet. They were flooded and boiling. There was some calm overflow with fish popping and I threw a Rebel minnow a couple times but that was it for the other reason I came to post - the mosquitoes were like nothing I’ve ever been in :bang_1 :bang_1 :bang_1 salute1

Been fishing down here all my life and have dealt with mosquitoes, yellowflies, sand gnats on down towards the coast, and the mosquitoes today were just a whole other level lol!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Alright alright alright! I went back after that almost-cold snap and the mosquitoes were tolerable. I walked around some to and saw/decided that they connect to Cow Creek during floods. Cow Creek of course is the creek you cross just before you get to Goose Pasture. I thought what I was looking at on through the woods was flooded water that just ran to or from the creek.

Then I talked about it with an old pal and he said this is Cow Creek, and that some people call the spot Cow Creek Sink. Cow Creek makes a normal creek sink right there then pops back up at the rising and keeps going. I don’t know where all this Twins Sinks stuff came from but that settles that. I also recognized the spot better myself since the water had came on down some more, before learning the real story. I had never been there when it was full or flooded for the simple reason that we always avoided driving through the mud back in the day.

It even makes sense from a fishing POV. I caught 8 keeper Warmouth and 2 Stumpknockers, plus other small ones. All but 2 came from the creek rise side which means the most fish are over there because they swim up the creek.

There was bad duckweed so I caught them all out of the same clear spot. Once I had my 10 I went ahead and chunked a worm into the duckweed just to see what would happen and I pulled in a big Warmouth, not just a keeper.