What fish WON'T you eat?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

What fish WON'T you eat?

Post by Juan »

The puffer thread got me wondering what fish considered edible by some you would refuse to eat.
For me:
Puffers
Lizardfish
Lion fish
Barracuda
Bonita
Parrot fish
hard head cats and sails too (so far)
I'm sure there are others.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Srbenda

Re: What fish WON'T you eat?

Post by Srbenda »

Juan wrote:The puffer thread got me wondering what fish considered edible by some you would refuse to eat.
For me:
Puffers
Lizardfish
Lion fish
Barracuda
Bonita
Parrot fish
hard head cats and sails too (so far)
I'm sure there are others.
I've eaten barracuda, lionfish and parrotfish in the Bahamas, all delicious.

Wont touch ladyfish, lizardfish, or hardhead cats.

Have eaten bonita, but its low on my list.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Adding a couple... pinfish and mullet

I probably should have asked "What's the strangest fish you HAVE eaten.. List would be shorter. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

There is no fish I will not try once, unless it has been designated poisonous by a reputable source. My biggest regrets have been florida gar, bowfin (mudfish), ladyfish, and hardhead catfish. Stingrays are okay, but hell to keep safely on a stringer if you are wadefishing. Sailcats are top-notch table fare, worlds apart from flavorless hardheads. I have also cooked baitfish, including big mudminnows. Too many bones, so I will try pickling them after I retire and really need to make ends meet.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I reckon this all depends on how hungry I am at that moment. But on current standards and endangered or morally wrong species a no go..

-ladyfish (bones/mast meat)
-most shad-like bait fish (to many bones)
-gar (unless someone else prepared it)
-mudfish (foul meat)
-carp (not a fan)

But other than that I’d try other kinds of fish a couple times before I made my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I finally kept a sailcat after hearing others say they were tasty. I won't keep another. Too strong for me. It didn't help matters when I slipped and drove a fin spine into my thumb while cleaning it. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

The backstraps from a big gar is pretty damn good
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

The backstraps from a big gar is pretty damn good!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:I finally kept a sailcat after hearing others say they were tasty. I won't keep another. Too strong for me. It didn't help matters when I slipped and drove a fin spine into my thumb while cleaning it. :lol:
The sailcat I've eaten has always been fried, which I suspect is a cure for almost anything to mask the flavor.
-carp (not a fan)
I've eaten carp as well, in southern Europe. It was absolutely fantastic. I believe it was wood-fire grilled, and I would eat that every day.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have tried to cook or make fish dip out of bluefish about 5 different times and will not put any more effort into it. Too many other good fish to eat.
fishTheBend

Post by fishTheBend »

Steve,

Try throwing bluefish fillets into red wine vinegar. Will take all the oily mess out of them.
Steve Stinson wrote:I have tried to cook or make fish dip out of bluefish about 5 different times and will not put any more effort into it. Too many other good fish to eat.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Just took a pan of large redfish & trout heads out of the oven. Marinated in Italian dressing, seasoned with Old Bay, garlic powder, and parsley. Baked at 425 for 25 minutes. Then dug all the meat out of the heads with a small paring knife, loaded it onto a big plate of tortilla chips, sprinkled chopped red onion & shredded cheddar cheese, and microwaved for 45 seconds...

Fish Head Nachos! Sounds awful, tastes like an Apalachee Bay Flavor Explosion. Figure if I'm going to kill a fish, might as well use the whole thing. Had trout roe for appetizer.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Bluefish are fine if you trim away the dark red parts and cook them fresh. My favorite is to sautee them in a pan with a little olive oil, sprinkled with Chef Prodhomme's blackened seasoning. Had some last week in a soft taco (warmed in the pan) with peach-mango salsa.
Good stuff!
cotton

Post by cotton »

I’ll eat any fish if its fixed by someone who knows how to prepare it. Way to many awesome ways to cook fish I’ve never tried.

Here’s a few I obviously don’t know how to prepare:
Carp
I like the taste of gar tenderloin, but after a trip to the dr with an infection I won’t do that again.
Pinfish(to boney)
Hardheads
Bowfin
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I have been tempted by the smooth puffers but have not partake of them yet, blues are great fresh, sailcats eat good, hardheads are ok fried if filleted and the red meat cut away. Lionfish would definitely be going home if I caught one.

My passes

Gar (the backstrap I'd probably do)
Mudfish
Pinfish
Shiners
Lizardfish
Ladyfish

I personally don't care for mullet much either unless it's fresh, I've had some pretty bad mullet on buffets. I don't care much for Buffalo or suckers either.