Shell Point

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GusMccrae

Shell Point

Post by GusMccrae »

Advice please: We will be staying in a house at Shell Point 3rd week of June. May or may not have a boat, but can definitely have kayaks. Is there any use trying to do some yak fishing in that area? I know zero about this area. Will also be taking a castnet for some wade fishing. Any advice or pointers are supremely appreciated.
Srbenda

Re: Shell Point

Post by Srbenda »

Yes, just east of Shell Point, on the other side of Live Oak Point there is good flats fishing. The NW side of Shell Point would also be good. I'd pick my direction based on which way the wind is blowing.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Absolutely give the yaks a try. Be careful of boat traffic, but the canals can provide refuge from wind and can produce fish. Plenty of grass flats to fish off the beach. Walker creek (the water between shell point and live oak) can provide plenty of fishing real estate as well.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

There are no fish there ever. Never even heard of a fish being caught there. Seriously, they used to hold kayak fishing classes on the beach at Shell Point and then take the class out to fish the nearby oyster bars. There are fish there. Can be a lot of boat traffic on the weekends so you will want to stay away from the channel. If you are not a species snob, use your castnet to catch some live baits and put them 3 feet under a popping cork on a long shanked 3/0 hook. Bring pliers and a net or fish grippers. You can catch Spanish, trout, ladies, sharks, catfish, blues, etc.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Good fishing starting off the long oyster bar directly out from Shell Pt. Beach and continuing toward Piney Isl. (West). All reachable by kayak. Do Not stringer your fish and drag them on your kayak that time of year unless you want a close encounter with a shark.

Dog-walking topwater plugs, 3" Gulp shrimp on a jig head, and minnow baits like a Redfin all work good.

Good Luck. - Steve Stinson