Yellowflies

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Yellowflies

Post by woodstock52 »

For the Yellow Flies
I boat a lot & have a place on the St Marks. My wife swells up & hurts if a Yellow Fly bites her.
I found out several years ago, by accident, that Austrian Gold sunscreen works GREAT for more than sun protection!!!!
I use 30 or 50spf but I don't think that matters. I have been using it for 3 years & when the fly's aren't around, its a great sunscreen. It only takes a small amount, but do not miss a spot if you expect the Yellow Flies to be out.
They will find that missed spot. I had two bite me by on the underside of my wrist my wristwatch band. Not one other bite all day.
I have shared this info with some friends who now use it for there paddle board/kayak trips. I saw them on the river a few days ago, & they were amazed at how well it works.

Try It
wallisam

Re: Yellowflies

Post by wallisam »

skin so soft, from Avon works great also
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

And I keep a fly swatter in the boat for the biting flys out on the flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

woodstock52 wrote:For the Yellow Flies
I boat a lot & have a place on the St Marks. My wife swells up & hurts if a Yellow Fly bites her.
I found out several years ago, by accident, that Austrian Gold sunscreen works GREAT for more than sun protection!!!!
I use 30 or 50spf but I don't think that matters. I have been using it for 3 years & when the fly's aren't around, its a great sunscreen. It only takes a small amount, but do not miss a spot if you expect the Yellow Flies to be out.
They will find that missed spot. I had two bite me by on the underside of my wrist my wristwatch band. Not one other bite all day.
I have shared this info with some friends who now use it for there paddle board/kayak trips. I saw them on the river a few days ago, & they were amazed at how well it works.

Try It
Thanks for posting this. I have a particularly bad reaction to yellowflies. I can attest, I missed one part of my leg (evidenced by the sunburn) and they did seem to get me there a few times. Otherwise, they flew around me but didn't land and bite.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Try It
I looked up Austrian gold on amazon, only found Australian gold. They had a couple of varieties. Which one do you use?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:And I keep a fly swatter in the boat for the biting flys out on the flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smart
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

Product Info as listed on the front of the bottle;
#1 Fragrance
Infused with Aloe Vera
50 Lotion Sunscreen
Moisture Max
Formulated with Antioxidant Rich Kakadu Plum
Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (I also have it in SPF30)
Water Resistant (80 Minutes)
Australian Gold
Net Wt 8oz
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

The frustration of smashing a yellowfly as hard as you can and hearing it crackle, for him to fly away as soon as you move your hand.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Try It
Mine came in today Woodstock. I’ll give it a go and report back :thumbup: