Forecast is wrong!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

Forecast is wrong!!!

Post by akasephiroth »

1-2 feet was the forecast 4-6 feet was the actual condition... something told me the 1-2 feet didn't add up with stroms in the area next time I listen to my inner voice we got about 10 miles out when the big swells hit, too 2 hrs to make it back with seas this rough but even a miserable day on the water is better then a good day at work
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Forecast is wrong!!!

Post by Juan »

Yep. I suspected as much so I fished fresh instead of salt today and it was choppy on the river too.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Yep we were 20 miles out of carrabelle. It was rough with waves faces up to 8’ with one second period. Glad we were in a 30’ cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geofish

Post by geofish »

Whitecaps on the flats was enough for me to stay inshore
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Yep we were 20 miles out of carrabelle. It was rough with waves faces up to 8’ with one second period. Glad we were in a 30’ cat.

We went out early from carrabelle as well was higher then expected but was spaced out good, 3-4 about 5 miles out we started getting 6' swells and I made the decision to turn around back in the bay we were still hitting 3' swells.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We made the decision to take the creek boat out today and let the snaps have the day off. It was almost too windy to fish in 2’
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Forecast is wrong!!!

Post by bbb »

A buddy was on a charter today out of Mexico Beach. 36’ Yellowfin took a wave over the bow. They had to plow in around 10mph.

Another buddy sunk his gig boat last night in Ocholocknee Bay when the storm came thru.

Had another friend go late this afternoon from 4-7pm. Started off 1-2s and quickly jumped to 3-4s with 5s stacked. They had to tuck tail and head back in early.

I was going to go tomorrow but think I’ll stay around the lake.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

It was rough out there yesterday morning. At about 645am, it was calm and then by 715 it was blowing 15+. Inshore was tough to fish, because even the power pole wouldnt hold the boat in soft bottom. It finally died down around 1230, but certainly not a pleasant offshore day!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
SouthernPointe

Post by SouthernPointe »

I put in at Lanark to do some inshore fishing at daylight. The wind was initially out of the south so I headed across to dog island in 1-2s to hide. Around 8am the wind switch from out of the east to northeast. There were 3+ footers in the bay and whitecaps everywhere. The the snapper fishermen were also holding behind the island. The sun finally came out around 11am and the wind died down a tad. The wind eventually died down around 4-6pm. It was a rough day in my 20’ flats boat and the fish weren’t biting either.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

This whole year has been wrong.... can we go back to winter and start over? Out of all the winds North winds are my least favorite.

fishTheBend

Post by fishTheBend »

Fished Saturday and Sunday setting casting distance records.

The fish seemed so scattered to the East of the lighthouse. Ended up with one 23” red in the box over both days.

Anyone else have the same experience with scattered fish?
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Flats fishing has been off for me since last fall - the trout and reds don't seem to be holding in their regular places. I wonder if the hurricanes have altered the bottom - maybe some grass beds got smothered, or relocated. I'm hoping for a good fall/winter season. I've been to St George 3 times since May and have a flounder and a few sailcats to show for it. The water has been dirty and the wind has been up but normally you see schools of ladyfish at least. There just doesn't appear to as much bait in the water but maybe everything has not disappeared, just relocated.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

I took the kayak out to HM yesterday and struck out except for a few sail cats. Live shrimp under a popper, paddle tails, spook Jr, gold spoon... Nothing was attractive to them.

The fresh water was flowing fast, making the turbidity high (brown coke colored water) and a north wind was blowing steady as well, making for a not so pleasant paddling experience.

More than a few times I got distracted trying to fish and was pushed/blown out farther than I wanted. Then paddling against the current from the fresh water and the wind absolutely wore me out. There's a peddle drive or trolling setup in my near future.

Finally gave up trying to fish the grass at 4ft and moved in close to shore and in the canals, but the water was flowing so hard I couldn't get more than a couple casts before getting pushed into the grass.

I did see one other guy on a yak catching fish, so they were there, I just need to get better I guess. :-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Forecast is wrong!!!

Post by Red Beard »

Went out yesterday afternoon and it was slow, managed some trout and a blue fish. Wind and tide working against one another is never fun. But was quality time with the family none the less.

-TGBTG-

tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

As much as I wanted to target Snapper over the weekend I just didn't think the weather would permit it. Ended up taking my creek boat to an area that generally holds reds. I also brought a bag of frozen LY's along we had cast netted a few weeks earlier. Now I know it's not glamorous but with the conditions we had I figured our best approach would be to anchor up and start chumming. Think we ended up with 6 or 7 reds going 25"-30" along with a few trout. We go off the water a little before noon.