Preferred retrieve rate for lures

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

Preferred retrieve rate for lures

Post by PhishingNole »

I'm picking out a new baitcaster (curado K) and there are several options for gear ratio. There is not a lot of information out there on optimal retrieve speeds for different baits.

Do you guys have a preference on gear ratio ( or more specifically, retrieved inches per crank) for topwater vs. paddletail vs. Spoon?

Is a super fast gear ratio (31 or 36 inches per crank) a good thing for walking the dog or do you prefer a slower retrieve? Soft plastics?

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
tailwaters

Re: Preferred retrieve rate for lures

Post by tailwaters »

For inshore use I would personally go with a reel that retrieves 36" per turn vs something less. A lower gear is good to have when fighting bigger fish but not as important on trout and reds. Also a lot of times when fishing you will spot a fish but before you can make a cast you need to reel in. Having the higher gear ratio allows you to get that lure back a little quicker and somethings those extra seconds make all the difference.
GhostRanger169

Post by GhostRanger169 »

Too high gear ratio can make it harder to walk the dog(rod twitch length vs handle turn rate), but for almost everything else higher rate is better
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

My preferred rate for a bait-caster is cast, pull out birds nest for 5 minutes while fish swim by, throw baitcaster overboard, pull out my Stradic and get busy. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

rockyg wrote:My preferred rate for a bait-caster is cast, pull out birds nest for 5 minutes while fish swim by, throw baitcaster overboard, pull out my Stradic and get busy. lol
Haha, I know the feeling.

I have a Stradic and I like it well enough, but I just throw the baitcaster more accurately and easily, especially from a kayak.

This will actually be my first low profile baitcaster. I've fished old school Abu Ambassadeur reels (grew up on lake O catching catfish and Bass) since I was a kid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

KastKing Speed Demon 9.3:1. 13 bearings, 39.1 inches per turn. Fastest baitcaster on the market and it's only $49.99. I've actually had to slow down my cranking speed with most lures but it's perfect for spinner baits and would make a good first baitcaster.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have several Shimano bait casters that I use exclusively for plug fishing. My normal go-to is a Chronarch 151 HG, which is the higher gear ratio. It works very well for Skitter Walks, Top Dogs, Spooks, etc. I also use it for suspenders like Paul Browns and UnFair Rip-n-Slash. I can retrieve quicker to re-cast, but it's not so fast that I out-crank the plug on a walk-the-dog surface retrieve. I used it when I owned my kayak.

I also have a Chronarch CI4 on a shorter rod. It is the normal gear ratio and the difference is not really that noticeable to me. I have used it some with spinnerbait rigs and swim baits.

The Curado K is a quality reel and I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice for inshore kayak duty.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

7.3 is my go to retrieve ratio, it's not too fast, not too slow, plus on daiwa reels 7.3 is trimmed in red. The 7.3 tends to stay smoother longer whereas the faster ratios tend to feel Geary.
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

I am with Juan, like my kast kings
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

dropaline wrote:I am with Juan, like my kast kings
Be careful. We're the minority. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

go with the curado K in the 7 ratio, it's just a good happy medium speed. you can also control your "reel speed" you just want to make sure you can pick up enough line to properly control everything.