Scalloping 4th of July weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping 4th of July weekend

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Who's going? And where? :-D Wife and I gonna hit Keaton.
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Scalloping 4th of July weekend

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Good luck, my wife is in shock I talked her out of going last weekend. At St Mark's today it didn't appear they were thick as everyone seemed to be moving around a lot. I hope to make it by 18th and hopefully the crowds have calmed by then. The ramp antics have been bad enough this year. I saw someone had ignored the warning about the curb at the end of the ramp at the lighthouse and pulled the tongue out of their boat trailer trying to launch a sailboat.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

My wife, daughter, and I are going for a boat ride tomorrow out of St. Marks. We'll go swimming and try to find some scallops. I've never had any luck in the past besides finding a few at the sandbar.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
eenriquez

Post by eenriquez »

We went to st marks today got 3/4 of the 5 gallon. We moved around every 20-30 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Passed no less than 30 boats between 98 and Woodville this morning....your not alone :smt004
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Wife and I got our limit today at Keaton. Took a while but who wants it to only last 30 minutes?

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

We hit St. Marks today, I suspect there were no less than 100-125 boats around. We had 6 folks in the water and it took quite a few stops and several hours to get a boat-limit. That being said, it was a great day on the water with family and friends nonetheless.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Scoop Sea wrote:We hit St. Marks today, I suspect there were no less than 100-125 boats around. We had 6 folks in the water and it took quite a few stops and several hours to get a boat-limit. That being said, it was a great day on the water with family and friends nonetheless.
Sounds like a great day. How was the visibility? And how bad was the ramp?

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
Scoop Sea wrote:We hit St. Marks today, I suspect there were no less than 100-125 boats around. We had 6 folks in the water and it took quite a few stops and several hours to get a boat-limit. That being said, it was a great day on the water with family and friends nonetheless.

I dont use the ramp, but I stopped by today waiting for the rain the pass. Busy, but not overwhelming.

Water visibility is worse by Cobb rocks, maybe 3' but improves closer to Grey Mare where the stain is gone, and improves to 10'+.

Saw a newish 30+ express in the scallop grounds, which means he is far braver than I would be. They made it to deeper water ok, and high tide was +4, so he was probably safe.

Found a few trout scattered about, both in 7+ and in 4'.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Srbenda wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:

I dont use the ramp, but I stopped by today waiting for the rain the pass. Busy, but not overwhelming.

Water visibility is worse by Cobb rocks, maybe 3' but improves closer to Grey Mare where the stain is gone, and improves to 10'+.

Saw a newish 30+ express in the scallop grounds, which means he is far braver than I would be. They made it to deeper water ok, and high tide was +4, so he was probably safe.

Found a few trout scattered about, both in 7+ and in 4'.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Good deal.

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

someone was telling me they don't allow parking on the side of the road at Keaton anymore so once the parking lot is full, what happens? can anyone confirm this? thanks!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

dombern34 wrote:someone was telling me they don't allow parking on the side of the road at Keaton anymore so once the parking lot is full, what happens? can anyone confirm this? thanks!
That is what I’ve heard. Don’t know what happens. But if you get there before the sun crests the trees you’ll have no problem getting parking.