Spring Warrior 7-31-2020

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TheReelPapaSquat

Spring Warrior 7-31-2020

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Took my father in law out Friday morning. We launched at 6:30AM, and had to be back to the ramp by 11:30 for an appointment of his. We really just went out because we had a little time and you have to make hay when the sun shines. The last couple times we've gone have been a little slow, so fish expectations were a little low. We fished the incoming tide and around the bars to start. We caught a few short trout, BSB, and a red that missed the mark by an inch. The floating grass was the worst I'd seen all summer. We decided that maybe we could get away from it in deeper water. Went out to 7 to 9 foot. It was a little better. The bite was fairly consistent. We released some short trout, but managed 7 for the box to take home. They were 16-18 inch, with one at 15.5 inches but all had good girth to them. Very healthy. We used soft plastics in green and candy corn. Very pleased with the trip and we left them biting and us hungry for another round. They fried up beautiful and went perfect with the swamp cabbage I cut the day before. You gotta love North Florida.
Red Beard

Re: Spring Warrior 7-31-2020

Post by Red Beard »

Nice, thank you for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishbster12

Post by Fishbster12 »

Thanks for the report. I’m fishing/camping at the fish camp on the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Mmmm swamp cabbage. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day. Are there a lot of cabbage palms this far north?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've been finding trout out in that same depth between the Aucilla and St. Marks rivers. Sometimes the water is clear and sometimes as dark as black coffee even out to 12 feet deep. Is the water out of Spring Warrior dark?

Based on my experiences, clear or iced-tea colored is okay, but dark coffee color slows the fish bite way down.

Thanks for the report. - Steve Stinson