Spring Warrior 8-17-2020

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TheReelPapaSquat

Spring Warrior 8-17-2020

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Nothing better than launching early and watching the sunrise behind you over the palms and pines on our beautiful coastline. The low tide was scheduled for 0730, and about a foot and a half above mean. Father in law and I got to the ramp at 0630, as the sky lightened in the east. Wind was minimal, gnats were not. I cranked the skiff up and headed out to about 7 feet, planning on fishing the rising tide, and then heading in around the bars. Floating grass everywhere. It was challenging, if not impossible to not bale hay every cast. I managed to hook a lady while pa caught a hefty sail cat. Bait pods everywhere. I saw the most tarpon ever crashing these pods and rolling by the boat. They winked as they cruised by but were not buying what we were selling. I got cut off a couple times. A sharp tug and then nothing. Never saw them to identify. We tried around the bars, nada. Went back out to about 6 foot. I caught a nice 20 inch trout and we started getting some shorts. We had over a dozen manatee swim by and that was very cool. The fishing itself was rough. We used mostly soft plastics, with and without a thunder. I didn't have my sabiki with me, may try some pinnies next time. It was a Monday though, how can I complain about a slow fishing day? Better than a quick work day.... I think.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Warrior 8-17-2020

Post by Salty Gator »

Sounds like a great day minus the gnats. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Thanks for the report, I was beginning to think I was the only one having the summertime slow fishing days.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Dog Days of Summer. I have been catching fish either way back in the creeks or way out offshore beyond the scallop hunters in 10 feet of water. Absolutely nuthin' in between those two extremes.

- Steve Stinson
TheReelPapaSquat

I believe you are correct. I see grouper season will open back up off Taylor on the 1st. The next calm day will see my boat offshore. If nothing else, I'll bring home some grunt and BSB, both make great sandwiches and fish tacos.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

We caught 5 keeper trout saturday outrunning the lighting for a few hours saturday mostly under a popping cork in about 6ft
TheReelPapaSquat

mpa_72001 wrote:We caught 5 keeper trout saturday outrunning the lighting for a few hours saturday mostly under a popping cork in about 6ft
You stole my fish :-D