Rod Repair

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod Repair

Post by dombern34 »

geofish wrote:I keep thinking I can put those ceramic rings back in instead of replacing the whole guide, but haven't had any success, even with my high-tech solutions [WINKING FACE]like JB Weld.
Anyone have any special tricks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
you can't ever "press them back in" they are pressed in from the manufacture. once they come out they'll never stay in. I repair and build rods myself and Mr. Jim would be your best bet!

tailwaters wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Second Jims outfit. But never had a rod repaired only reels.
A friend had an eye replaced at Kevin’s and it was terrible. Rough edges everywhere. Looked like a 5 year old did it. I would not recommend going there for any rod or reel repair
Was it perfect, No but it wasn't that bad either. It works just fine and the turn around was maybe a week.

so you "repair" guides and allowed a repair that wasn't perfect leave the shop? how is that justified?
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote:
A friend had an eye replaced at Kevin’s and it was terrible. Rough edges everywhere. Looked like a 5 year old did it. I would not recommend going there for any rod or reel repair
Was it perfect, No but it wasn't that bad either. It works just fine and the turn around was maybe a week.
Dude, come on. It is the worst repair job I’ve ever seen a “professional” do. Its awful. Dom did one for me that you couldn’t tell wasn’t original. A blind man could tell yours wasn’t original with those sharp edges.
You just can't let things lie can you. Dom didn't return the email or the VM I left him, providing you gave me the correct contact info. You say sharp edges as if it going to cut my line on every cast. That just isn't the case. There was one drip that stood out a little that doesn't effect the function what so ever. You can only see it if you look closely. What matters to me is having a convenient place to drop it off, decent turn around (week) and a price point I don't even have to think about ($15). I am sure some of these other places might do a better job but I'd have to spend over hour driving to drop off and pick up. If I have to do that then I will drive the 10 min to Kevin's and buy new rod.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

tailwaters wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote:
Dude, come on. It is the worst repair job I’ve ever seen a “professional” do. Its awful. Dom did one for me that you couldn’t tell wasn’t original. A blind man could tell yours wasn’t original with those sharp edges.
You just can't let things lie can you. Dom didn't return the email or the VM I left him, providing you gave me the correct contact info. You say sharp edges as if it going to cut my line on every cast. That just isn't the case. There was one drip that stood out a little that doesn't effect the function what so ever. You can only see it if you look closely. What matters to me is having a convenient place to drop it off, decent turn around (week) and a price point I don't even have to think about ($15). I am sure some of these other places might do a better job but I'd have to spend over hour driving to drop off and pick up. If I have to do that then I will drive the 10 min to Kevin's and buy new rod.
Don’t get mad Dude. I posted this the same day you defend said work. I never said it was going to cut your line. It is easy to feel and the fact is, you shouldn’t be able to tell it was replaced. I didn’t mention you by name, but you decided to defend his work. I’ve also had trouble with 2 reels I gave him and my brother in law gave him a penn that he gave back, in a box of parts with instructions to send it to penn. I’m not sure why you felt the need to defend it, but since you did, here we are. If you are happy, great. I wouldn’t have accepted it. I’m just trying to help out the op. This is a place to share opinions, and mine was not to use the guy at Kevin’s. I’ve had my own poor experiences and I thought yours was poor at best. And by the way $15 isn’t that great of a price.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
tailwaters wrote:
Don’t get mad Dude. I posted this the same day you defend said work. I never said it was going to cut your line. It is easy to feel and the fact is, you shouldn’t be able to tell it was replaced. I didn’t mention you by name, but you decided to defend his work. I’ve also had trouble with 2 reels I gave him and my brother in law gave him a penn that he gave back, in a box of parts with instructions to send it to penn. I’m not sure why you felt the need to defend it, but since you did, here we are. If you are happy, great. I wouldn’t have accepted it. I’m just trying to help out the op. This is a place to share opinions, and mine was not to use the guy at Kevin’s. I’ve had my own poor experiences and I thought yours was poor at best. And by the way $15 isn’t that great of a price.
did you send me a message on here? I never received it. what were you inquiring about?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I gave tw your contact info. I think he lady you a voicemail and a email. Would have been a few weeks back.
Side note. Did I pass you coming back from the coast on Sunday? I was heading down in the afternoon and I thought I might have passed your boat
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Salty Gator wrote:I gave tw your contact info. I think he lady you a voicemail and a email. Would have been a few weeks back.
Side note. Did I pass you coming back from the coast on Sunday? I was heading down in the afternoon and I thought I might have passed your boat
that's wild. I never got either from my memory, I'll check my spam folder and see. service in our area has also been horrible as they've been servicing our cell towers here. if it wasn't for wifi, i'd have a paperweight for a phone.

man I wish it was me, was in the woods most of the day Sunday. plan on shooting down there here soon when the temps drop a little. we're headed over to Destin Thursday for a quick weekend stay. we're bringing my buddies boat. our first time fishing it so well shall see.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

used to get mine repaired at wilsons in perry for like 5$ or less most the time and usually got em done same day or next day
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Saltwater rods?
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I'm guessing he's referring to tips