Bainbridge to Apalach

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mblambert

Bainbridge to Apalach

Post by mblambert »

Anyone here ever taken the Flint from Bainbridge through Lake Seminole and the Apalachicola into Apalach? Thinking about doing the trip next month and spending a weekend in Apalach, but unsure of how long of a boat ride to plan for. Just over 100 miles as the crow flies, but I'm guessing you could tack on extra 30 or so for the winding river? Plan to spend Saturday and Sunday morning fishing around, but have never fished around Apalach. I'm assuming that time of year my best bet would be near the mouth of the river. Any insights into the trip or the fishing would be greatly appreciated!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Bainbridge to Apalach

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I've done lots of different sections of it but never the whole thing. What kind of boat would you be in?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
mblambert

Post by mblambert »

A 24' Sportsman bay boat with a 300hp. It holds 65 gallons of fuel, and I think I can get right at 3mpg loaded down.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I made the trip approx 10 years ago and fished my way down there. I took 2 days to get there and slept on a beach area about halfway down the river. Be careful of shallow areas. They sneak up on you pretty quick in some spots. It's a beautiful trip but make sure you are prepared. A lot of places have zero cell phone signal. I was going to sleep on my boat anchored up on a grassy little island near the bridge but the FWC ran me off.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

https://youtu.be/7adXdFn1aWE

Looks like this guy did exactly that.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

The only thing that could possibly slow you down/give you issue is the lock at the dam. I looked it up awhile back and thought it was closed.
mblambert

Post by mblambert »

Thanks for the comments. Think the plan is to top off fuel on the lake just in case. Spoke to the lock operator yesterday. They work four 10's, but said if you schedule ahead of time they will send someone to operate the lock for you. Looks like we're set!
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

If possible make time to cut over into the dead lakes. It's approx 2/3 of the way down. That was beautiful. Good fishing also.
Have Fun and be safe
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Worst case scenario is you run out of fuel and have to do some old school river drifting :-D .
bbb

Bainbridge to Apalach

Post by bbb »

A buddy did the trip in May with about 10 other boats. Started in Bristol. He said it was 7-8 hours down, but that they stopped A LOT.