Taxidermist

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Taxidermist

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Been searching for someone to get a replica made for the 30” trout I caught. Any recommendations in the area? Anyone had one done that is willing to share pics would be appreciated as well. I want it done right the first time and look as real as possible.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Taxidermist

Post by silverking »

Not local but a super quality shop and one that has seen its share of 30-inch-plus trout in Stuart and the Indian River Lagoon:

https://newwavetaxidermy.com

Michael is a strong proponent of release fishing and his son Buddy is following in his footsteps. Buddy is also an experienced light tackle guide.

Tell them I sent you, flatsbroke22. You'll be very happy with their work.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Thanks SK! I’ll check them out.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I believe Capt CA (Flats Class) also did an episode this season with New Wave. Great products coming out of there !

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
STMU

Post by STMU »

silverking wrote:Not local but a super quality shop and one that has seen its share of 30-inch-plus trout in Stuart and the Indian River Lagoon:

Michael is a strong proponent of release fishing and his son Buddy is following in his footsteps. Buddy is also an experienced light tackle guide.

Second vote for New Wave. I had 4 fish done with them and they look better than all my others. I appreciate wanting to go local, but they are a small family business in FL so it's pretty darn close. Taxidermy is expensive, especially for good ones, and if want quality and have done right the first time they will definitely do it. They stay swamped, like most good ones, so don't be in a hurry.

I had some funky exotic species done, and he had to make the molds just to do the casts. I ended up sending him multiple specimens and images for reference. Took Michael about 2 years, but he really wanted to do them himself as he hadn't done those species before. Came out perfect first try, and he only charged me half the price since it took so long. Even though it took awhile their customer service is awesome and the results speak for themselves. I doubt you will have any issues with a trout, as I am sure he has the molds already and it will be a much quicker turnaround.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

STMU wrote:
silverking wrote:Not local but a super quality shop and one that has seen its share of 30-inch-plus trout in Stuart and the Indian River Lagoon:

Second vote for New Wave. I had 4 fish done with them and they look better than all my others. I appreciate wanting to go local, but they are a small family business in FL so it's pretty darn close. Taxidermy is expensive, especially for good ones, and if want quality and have done right the first time they will definitely do it. They stay swamped, like most good ones, so don't be in a hurry.

Sounds cool, would you mind posting what you have?
I had some funky exotic species done, and he had to make the molds just to do the casts. I ended up sending him multiple specimens and images for reference. Took Michael about 2 years, but he really wanted to do them himself as he hadn't done those species before. Came out perfect first try, and he only charged me half the price since it took so long. Even though it took awhile their customer service is awesome and the results speak for themselves. I doubt you will have any issues with a trout, as I am sure he has the molds already and it will be a much quicker turnaround.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

al davis in tallahassee does a great job on trout and his business is called wall hangers.hes done two for me one just over 29 inches in a tournament i caught few years back.i can show u a pic through facebook if u like of it.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Salty Gator wrote:Sounds cool, would you mind posting what you have?
I don't know how to post photos. If you send me a PM I can email them to you for posting, just not sure how to do it myself.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

mpa_72001 wrote:al davis in tallahassee does a great job on trout and his business is called wall hangers.hes done two for me one just over 29 inches in a tournament i caught few years back.i can show u a pic through facebook if u like of it.
I was told someone in Tally done good work but didn’t know the name. I would love to see the pics. Thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FB, can you post another pic of your trout?? I think I remember a report when you caught a bigun’ , but I didn’t appreciate it being that big I guess. I’d also dang sure get a replica mount if I ever catch a 30” gator
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I’ll have to live though you guys.. new house and new rules. Wife isn’t budging on hanging the deer and fish back on the wall. The garage is as far as I’ve gotten in my persuasions..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Salty Gator wrote:FB, can you post another pic of your trout?? I think I remember a report when you caught a bigun’ , but I didn’t appreciate it being that big I guess. I’d also dang sure get a replica mount if I ever catch a 30” gator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That is a whopper. Congrats
tcoram

Post by tcoram »

Hardens in thomasville ga.I have never seen anything that was not a top notch .